Fallout 3 lockups and freezes - What I did to fix it

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Thacrudd, 31 Oct 2008.

1. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

copied from my post on another forum:
    I was experiencing a lot of CTDs and then I had a lot of freezing issues. I would get "mini-freezes" and then eventually it would freeze and then lockup. I never had problems until I got out of the vault though. Here's everthing I did.

I installed new audio drivers for my Biostar board. I am using Realtec onboard audio and the driver I got was 2.11.15.0

I then installed the k-lite codec pack FULL version

Then, I installed the latest nvidia drivers 178.24

Reboot

Started game and it worked flawlessly but I do not know which part did it. I know that Oblivion had issues with audio and it ended up being the Vodei plugin so you may be able to try uninstalling that if you're using it. I'm going to list my specs and some keywords below for people using search engines. I don't guaruntee this to work for you, but it's worth a shot if you use similar hardware. Post if it works for you!

AMD Athlon X2 6000+
    Biostar 570i sli mobo
    8800GTS 320mb
    2 GB ram
    Windows XP

Fallout 3 lockups
    Fallout 3 freezing
    Fallout 3 stutter
    Fallout 3 CTD
    Fallout 3 performance issues
    Fallout 3 freezes
    Fallout 3 locks up

Last edited: 3 Nov 2008
  2. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

lol over 3K views (I'm sure from visitors) and not a single reply? :hehe:
    Something else I happened across - I still got a couple freezes yesterday and the only change I made was installing Nero the night before. I uninstalled Nero and it was back to running normal again. Only 2 crashes from playing it all day long.

Note to ATI users - There seems to be a conflict with some ATI cards and this game. I do not have a fix but I believe someone has posted a fix on Bethsoft's forums.

3. scarabbug

scarabbug What's a Dremel?

It worked for me and I also added another step and did what was suggested here:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/register.php?a=act&u=41006&i=39428848

I have an
    Alienware DHS 2
    GEforce 8600 GT
    2 GB RAM
    Realtek HD Integrated Audio

and it hasn't frozen again yet (knock on wood) It runs like a charm, although it still sometimes skips for a second when the song changes on the Enclave Radio Station but like I said no freezing anymore! This game kicks @ss!

4. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Yep the game CTD me aswell. I put it down to a memory leak or something as it only seemed to happen after playing for long time (couple of hours or so) etc.
    I reckon it's Mr Gutsy.:D

5. Wicked123

Wicked123 What's a Dremel?

I can not look at link it says: Your account has already been activated so please try logging in.

WTH???