1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Feeding Frenzy: November-11-2009 video card fan installed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Top Nurse, 23 Sep 2005.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm... I'll keep an eye on those auctions now that I actually have an ebay account. I see someone wants to pick up an Evo360 on-the-cheap...

Why isn't sharka ordering soon?!

I'll be using the temp sensors with the metal T fittings... hopefully they'd be able to come out of there as they're for a drain point :worried:

2. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Always interested in AC equipment for a reasonable price. :sigh: I got a Evo 240 rad and grill I have been saving for a rainy day and wanted to add an Evo 360 to the collection if the price is right.

I have no idea why Sharka isn't ordering AC right now as I gave up on trying to figure out why they do the things they do. Obviously they know what to do as they have been in business for over three years now. Just was told that if I wanted any of the new items I should look elsewhere unless by chance AC has the new stuff in stock when they finally do order. So I have been looking in to getting a Multiswitch LT somewhere else as I need it to finish up on FF.

No problem putting the temp sensors in the metal T fittings as they use a collet to grab the tubing or probes.

News Flash:

Just spoke with Wes and he says he is putting an order in this week so perhaps we might see some new stuff in about two weeks. :D

Last edited: 10 Oct 2005
  3. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

The Aquastream controller mounted to the front of the case had some minor issues after I had installed it a few days ago. So it was off to the hardware store to get some new tools. Found a nice little carbide cutting tool for my 35,000 RPM Dremel that looked like it might work out well as the new nibbler was a PITA to use. Basically I needed to open up the case a bit so that I could get the Aquastream pump connector and a molex power connector on.

[​IMG]

So here is after a little Dremel tool action.

[​IMG]

And here is the controller board back in the case.

[​IMG]

Here is a top down look on the installed controller.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I failed to take into account the little raised surface on the Molex female connector housing. So out came the controller and time for a quick little buzz job. :dremel:

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see the molex connector and the raised surface I was talking about while it is being used for a trial fit. Decided to buzz out a little room for the pump connector as well.

[​IMG]

While I was doing all this work I decided to see how the black Aquastream faceplate would look. I think I like it better than the polished stainless look so for now it stays on. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Well with everything out of the case I decided that a little vinyl dyeing was in order for those grey HD rails. Grey just seems out of place on FF so I went to Pep Boys and got some Dupli-Color flat black (part number HVP106 in case you are interested) vinyl spray paint. Picked flat black as the grey rails were a little shiny already and wanted something that would compliment the black case anodizing and black HD's. Here is the removed HD rail assemblies with one painted and the other showing the stock condition.

[​IMG]

Here is the rail assemblies re-installed in the case with some more buttonhead screws.

[​IMG]

Here is the look forward with the Aquastream controller visible. The switch up in the middle of the case is being replaced with a Bulgin Anti-Vandal with a LED ring and you can see the rear of it. Hmmm....I think that shocking pink has to go. :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

Here is a view of the forward Aquatube (HD circuit), three watercooled Raptor's, and the BI 120mm Pro rad in. The Aquastream pump for the HD circuit will sit inbetween the rad and the HD rack. Waiting for some more goodies from McMaster-Carr so I can mount the pump. Also having some special compression nuts made so that I can use 6mm x 8mm tubing with the Koolance HD coolers that were designed for the 6mm x 9mm Koolance tubing. Should have the nuts done in a few weeks. :sigh:

[​IMG]

Here is a wide angle view of the bottom compartments.

[​IMG]

Another view of the installed HD racks and the Aquatubes back in the case.

[​IMG]

Well that is it for now. Now that the major case work is done (I hope) I can get back to installing the PSU and running the wiring looms.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2005
  4. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Anyone got the Multiswitch yet?

5. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I may get an LT one this week along with the VFD Aquaero... at 79 Euros, I wasn't going to get one... but the LT being only 59 Euros (around £40).. it's at the top on of the 'useless gadget' budget but I'd would probably get it and see what I can do with it... cost any more than that and it's a no way! :p

6. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Does Leftclicks have them in stock?

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I don't think so, they don't have anymore Aquaeros in stock either, so i'm tempted not to wait and get them direct.

8. Firehed

I'm just hoping I can win that ebay of the aquaero... first time ebaying and I'm in a photography class just as it's ending so a certain nurse at the top will likely end up snatching it away :/

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

You want me to bid for you? I was just going to tear it apart and rebuild it into a VFD version so I don't really need it. BTW, it appears to be a version 3 hardware with the pulse width modulated fan headers. If you want the analog headers (and you do) you will have to send it to AC to be redone. IIRC they don't charge much if anything to do it, but you do have the shipping to Germany though. I think that Aquaero also has the soldered on display board as opposed to the the current manufacture type which uses a socketed connector so it may be harder to upgrade to the VFD display. Personally I don't think it is worth too much if you can get a new VFD device for about $175 + shipping. The Aquaero LCD devices now retail for about $120 + shipping and the one on eBay is the same LCD unit. So I figure it isn't worth more than $60 tops.

10. Firehed

I had meant I didn't want you outbidding me and senselessly raising the price. The EVO360 I might have a real use for (though for what I'd be doing, a quiet air solution makes more sense and costs less to boot), whereas I definately question my need for the Aquaero, especially as I'd definately prefer the VFD version and would need some other stuff anyways. The AC webshop quotes me at just under 200E for what I want/need (AqE VFD, black faceplate, 2x H2O sensors, product poster and a Twinplex Pro CS), plus whatever shipping if/when I can order directly.

How much power can the analog (or PWM) fan headers handle? It'd be nice to run my pumps off of them, but they need at least 8w to be safe. Call it another $300 there shipped (if I were to order a new VFD+stuff from Germany, maybe $100 or so for Dan's LCD and accessories, but I still want a Twinplex Pro CS), plus another $550 or so at newegg excluding a 7-series card (sound card with DDL, 2GB PC4000, quiet air for media center, potentially another 300gb drive), and I don't know what I can get selling off some other stuff either on ebay or here. Unfortunately, $7/hr before taxes working 12hr/wk doesn't add up quick ($77.57 after taxes). I need to get eBaying to get rid of old comp stuff I have no use for.

But enough about me...

11. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

So what is your eBay ID? I think the PWM headers are limited to 5 watts a piece and 15 watts total IIRC. Of corse it could be a version 4 hardware in which case it would be an analog unit capable of 10 watts per header. That's why I said this Aquaero deal is a real crap shoot in deciding what it is worth. BTW, Wes said he was placing an order in this week. I figure minimum 2 weeks for delivery as that is what Franz has been doing lately. :( Probably more likely three weeks though.

BTW, what is a CS version of the TwinPlex Pro?

12. Firehed

Chipset :) I'm just lazy (which would be reiterated by the fact I'm just getting up now, at 2:30pm) and can't stand to write it out. Make sure Wes gets some of the metal P&C stoppers and h2o temp sensors too. I'll probably pass on Dan's Aquaero; it doesn't seem like it would do me a whole lot of good as-is.

13. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I have a hard time getting Wes to order anything other than what I am paying for...so why don't you contact him directly?

I was thinking of re-bidding on the Aquaero, but there is no way I'm paying no $100 + for an old unit even if it's new. :yawn:

14. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I have been fooling around with the Mazzer 8mm x 6mm tubing I got from Sharka and found a good use for it. Normally the Aquastream is mated to the Aquatube (in an Aquabay) by use of a 90 degree elbow. The Mazzer tubing is so flexible I was able to eliminate the 90 degree elbow on the GPU circuit. :D

[​IMG]

The 90 degree elbow at the back of the Aquatube goes to my DD Fillport via a G 1/8 valve I got from AC.

[​IMG]

I wanted to replace the metal 90 degree elbow at the top of the Aquatube, but the matching Legris fitting wouldn't have allowed me to get the LED's in. :sigh:

[​IMG]

I'm working on getting the Aquastream pumps into the box now. The HD circuit pump is being mounted to the side of the HD rack on a specially built mount that I'm making from some scrap pieces of my V-2000. The CPU/NB circuit pump looks like it is going to get mounted to the bottom of the middle floor right next to the Aquatube and above the PSU. More on this later in the week. :dremel:

Added:

If you would like to see just the pics without having to wade through all the commentary then you can go here to my Photobucket folder. There are some pics that never made it into the worklog for one reason or another do enjoy.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2005
  15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I just found out the thread size from Koolance on their HD coolers. I am going to have a fellow [H]ard member make me some nuts so I can use Aqua Computer standard tubing (6mm x 8mm) on the HD-50-L06. I would imagine that these nuts will fit the dual coolers as well. If you are interested in getting some of these made as well please PM me immediately.

16. Firehed

I already asked about the stoppers, he said he'd be getting some in next round.

I really don't want this to become an SNT-type thing.... it's starting off exactly the same way. Starts great, some issues pop up, they get worked out, then stuff gets stuck on backorder. WTFHAX?!

What thread IS on the koolance HD coolers? And does it apply to the whole line or just those "padded" ones?

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

WTF I knows, but what is HAX?

Well slightly different than SNT in that it is mostly Sharka's moula that gets spent, but I agree with you. The problem is as I see it, is that we are talking about small companies here and they typically are'nt very well capitalized nor managed effectively. I do know that Wes has a degree in business marketing so I think they will eventually pull out of this slump.

The thread relates to the HD coolers, but I think it also is the same thread that goes on all their coolers. So I think the custom nuts will work with any Koolance cooler. I will see if I can get by Sharka today and check if it's the same.

Added: Yes the nuts I am having made would fit all the current Koolance 6mm coolers. I checked several of the 6mm coolers and it is the same nut on all of them.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2005
  18. Firehed

HAX really doesn't mean anything, just generic "hacks" added on for effect. Like !!!1111131231eleventypi

Yeah I hope they pull out of this, even if I am still trying to plan out my own AC-reseller idea a bit more. I'd like to think that it was more on the German (or Austrian, I suppose) end, what with IT-trade changing their name throwing things off. That and international shipping (though being the Zalman guys they are, I'd figure they'd be getting stuff from Korea all the time) must make it tricky, both pricewise and getting through customs.

Dunno, maybe I'm oversimplifying the problem(s) in my mind, but I'm pretty sure that if I got the money to start today, I could keep something running pretty effeciently once I worked out any initial kinks (mostly web shopping cart over anything else, maybe getting a customs agent if it's necessary). Then again that's about ALL I'd be selling, so it would be a lot easier to focus in on exactly what needs to get done without worrying about inventory from and to tons of other places. I'm not trying to discredit Sharka at all, it's been much easier with them overall, but considering it's effectively import it and sell it, it shouldn't be overly difficult to keep a decent stock or at least a consistant ordering method (be it a big order monthly, medium biweekly, smallish weekly, whatever) getting in all the stuff.

19. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I stopped by to talk with Wes today and everything is copasetic. Seems all the people who were backlogged (from SNT) have gotten their orders in and now he says the sales have dropped off. Can't put orders in if the stuff isn't selling. They still have quite a bit of AC stock on the shelf except no grills, 120 Evo rads, Aquaero's, or Aquastream's as I saw it all Thursday. The order they are putting in is all that stuff plus Tubemeters, RamPlex's, TwinPlex Pro's, Multiswitch's, and some misc support stuff.

I think their sales are off also due to the stuff that Dan is selling on eBay. I suppose once Dan sells off his inventory sales will blossom once again. I also think that the new stuff will stimulate AC sales too.

20. Firehed

Well, makes perfect sense. I do hope they get some of the "fun" items though (meaning things that would be under "lifestyle" in AC's catalog); I really want one of those posters!