1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Fermi High End Owners Club (ATi enter @ Risk)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AoE, 30 Jan 2012.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Given the nature of the thread I think the only setting use should be Ultra with vsync off :D That makes the results directly comparable.

Massive explosions test you say? Count me in.......If the fiancee decides I'm allowed :grr: lol

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Mega manoeuver back on topic... :)

I got my Gigabyte 480 Special Edition today (from ebay) and everything looked amazing until I checked the back of the card :eeek:

[​IMG]

One of the Proadlizer capacitors has either been damaged and doesn't work, or just had the cover knocked off it and still works - I'm not sure.

I installed the card and to my surprise it works flawlessly - no instability or artifacting, performance is A-ok and it's a dang nice card fo sho. Haven't OCd it yet but at stock speed I'm getting 70C load in 3DMark/furmark, which I believe is good for a 480.

REALLY disappointed about the damage to the back of the card tho. :(

Proadlizer up close and personal:

[​IMG]

3. noizdaemon666

Ninja edit: Request a refund/partial refund?

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've contacted the seller and will wait until I hear back from him.

My main problem is lack of knowledge here: the cap has something to do with the CPU power phase design, cleaning up the voltage, but I'm not sure exactly how important it is and whether or not the card will work OK without it.

The last thing I want is a £170 time-bomb. Grrr.

5. noizdaemon666

I'd say it'd be ok at stock, but if it's damaged like it looks then the more volts you add the more chance of it going wrong. I would definitely want a refund. I wouldn't trust it.

6. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

thats really bad luck Lenny hope it all works out and the seller gives you at least a partial refund

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

My reference card hit 90c on air, so 70c is pretty good.

didnt bother me though as I bought it to watercool it. Maybe you should watercool yours too? They love to be clocked

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

bdigital, thanks for the comparison - this card is a long way from 90C. I've been doing some testing at 800MHz core, 1075mV, and max temp in 3DMark Vantage/Heaven is 75C. The fans may not be quiet, but they are a hell of a lot quieter than what it took to keep my 470 that cool!

I'm going to have to think really hard about this... great card with fantastic cooling and at a great price too, but (seemingly) very minor damage which could threaten its longevity.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

So whats the requirements for this over sized epeen thread then, Although I'm going for a upgrade soon with a Rampage Ex III and a i7 990ex, tri sli.

Fyi my tri 480's never went above the 80c mark in Heaven bench mark on air with the cooling system I have

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Edit: my 480 at stock stays below 70C in Heaven. :p

850MHz core, 1088mV, 79C max. How could I not keep this card, lol?

Seller got back to me saying it was a B grade card from OCUK which the previous owner damaged with heatsinks - the evidence is there - which means the cover or top half of the Prodalizer came off when the heatsink was removed. Not sure if it's damaged but the card is in perfect working order so I'm keeping it.

I've actually got half a mind to buy a replacement proadlizer OE907 and get it professionally installed. In the meantime I'm going to contact Gigabyte and see what they can do by way of advice. Need to speak to somebody who knows about Proadlizers LOL. :D

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  11. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

My pics of new monitor :)

Look how it dwarfs my 19" acer & case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

13. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Christ, I just spotted that as well, PLUG IN THE DVI man or HDMI, something other than blasted VGA

But still nice monitor chum (Y) :)

14. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Its running on VGA now yes, but going through DVI this week.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Same monitor as me. I've been very happy with it. Great colour and sharpness. Zero dead pixels. Enjoy matey. I am!

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

OMG you should be on DVI

I thought this was the thread you was complaining about with the thread you started about people bragging

Apophis54 likes this.
  17. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

haha is it better to run through a DVI to DVI or VGA/DVI Adaptor to the same again in GPU?

Apophis54 likes this.
  18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

...run DVI to DVI to keep the signal digital, else it all goes to pot (aka: analogue).

Apophis54 likes this.
  19. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

No worries. Im currently on Core 831 MHz, Memory 2010MHz, Volts 1025 (stock). But i have gone a fair bit higher but giving it a few voltage bumps....I just havnt needed to.

Its a really capable card :)

Would it help if i checked the back of my other 480? (ive got a reference one in my drawer somewhere) - I suppose you could just check for pics online but if you think it might help you in anyway just give me a shout!

20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you read up, we're back on topic and I was merely reassuring AoE regarding his purchase after he received negative remarks earlier on.

So I'm not allowed to post in a thread to offer help for fear of retribution? This is exactly why I started the thread in General. Well done for creating more atmosphere Teel. Just when we were back on topic too.

And are you actually a 'Modarator / Adninistrator Staff' like your profile says? I'm sure mods have red tags. Furthermore, if you portray yourself as one, then you should act like one at the very least.