1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First Car!

Discussion in 'General' started by fuus, 27 Dec 2012.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Thanks for the advice guys, It's all very helpful, even the rants about maintenance, which I do intend to follow up with a good Haynes manual! :)

2. GMC

GMC Minimodder

If you find a GOOD Haynes manual, let me know. I only ever found fuzzy and poorly drawn diagrams. There are better sources on info on the web. Parts manuals are good if you want to see how things are made up and manufacturer workshop manuals are usually obtainable for older cars and are drawn better.

Basic servicing is pretty simple, pm me if you want. Research will also pay for itself when you go to look at a possible purchase.

fuus likes this.
  3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Thanks GMC! My Dad has *some* knowledge on mechanical bits, so I will start there. If I get stuck with him I'll be sure to PM you! +rep

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've found most Haynes to be decent enough as a first-line guide, they're not good as a pure novice's tool though (despite what they say). That said, if you think modern ones are bad you should see the one I have for an MGB, talk about minimal information!

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I can imagine! Their efforts on rx7 manuals were dreadful, and their first gen mx5 might as well have been another car for all the resemblance. Haven't actually looked at one for a car built after 1996 though. Never felt the need to buy anything newer than that. Going back to cars I owned that were built in the eighties, they were worse but I always assumed it just felt that way as I knew less..