Flickering textures in BF2, any help?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Noni, 16 Jun 2006.

1. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

Im running BF2 at MAX settings with 4xAA and 16xAF. Im at a resolution of 1680x1050.

The card is a 7800GTX 256mb with the 91.31 drivers. Temps are 52 idle and around 72 ish load (degrees).

When i play BF2 I get flickering textures, normally things like windows and corners on my gun. I asked a friend if this was normal and he laughed and said hell no.

Here are my temps-

[​IMG]

CPU is on a Zalman 9500 and northbridge is on a zalman passive NB cooler.

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

All Tempretures and Voltages seem fine, what is the spec of the rest of your system ? It sounds like your card is just artifacting, try differant settings (I had a simalar problem in FEAR when 16 AF was enabled on my X1800 XL).

-Fr4nk

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Flickering/artifacing (wild colors or random blocks of graphics) are symptoms of a video card problem.

There are three options:

1) Your drivers need updated for your graphics card. This is very common. Try using the latest official drivers from NVidia's website. Also, make sure your game is properly patched to the latest version...EA games (such as BF2) tend to be flaky without proper patching. It looks like yours are pretty recent, but I'll put this out here for others who have similar problems.

2) Your card is overheating. If your system does not have sufficient airflow, your graphics card could overheat, which often causes issues with the way it reads, stores, and presents textures (causing flashing and artifacts). Sometimes temps LOOK ok, but aren't for your particular chip. Remember, every piece of silicon is different, it may not respond well to those temps even if they're 'normal' for most. Try opening the side panel of your computer for a while and see if that reduces or cures the issue. If so, you need to ventilate your case better.

3) Your graphics card is having hardware issues (more unlikely). It's least likely but still possible your graphics card itself is having some type of hardware malfunction. This could be because the card is damaged or faulty, or (as is more often the case) the power supply in your system is not providing it sufficient, stable power. This can often cause "hiccups" or even total system freezes as the card draws too much power for the PSU to deliver, causing it to either starve other components (like the CPU) or itself.

If you don't have any problems in other games, the most likely issue is drivers or the game itself needing patched. Then proceed to the heat issue as a next possibility. If there's still issues, check back with us on what to look at next on the hardware side.

4. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

tbh, its nothing to do with your gfx settings. i had this with my old 7800gt on certain maps/sections of the maps. its just something to do with the game. and it happened after different configs of drivers and installation of windows.
    Battlefield2 is basically made crap i would try running other intensive games such as fear or any other newish game to see if you get any abnormalities. but graphical glitches on BF2 is not a sign of dodgy hardware by any means mate.

5. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

Well its not big artifacting, just in the nuts and crannies of objects.

Ill try and get some SS later for examples. Thank you for the replies, much appriciated.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sounds like the old nVidia texture shimmering problem to me.
    If it is that, there's unfortunately nothing you can do unless you want to go out and buy an ATi Card.