1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Fulmo - Type R

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BOBDBONE, 14 Jan 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Agreed, it's these finer details that are really going to make it great!
    You did a wonderful job on the first lot of paint, can't wait for more!

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

A car theme! (I'm soo jealous)

Are you doing system install too? Hope so, cause I know it will be awesome :hip:

3. BOBDBONE

BOBDBONE Owner at BS Mods

Hi Bill! Yes I will be doing the whole build. And yea it will be fairly powerful. :cooldude:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been doing 2 mods at once and one has a deadline so I've been low on free time so I'm about to do a run of "catch up" updates.

Back in the modding saddle again. I have way too much going on right now!

I am about done with sanding and have moved on to the primer stage. I even got some painting finished!!

Here is the skeleton in beautiful super bright white...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I can start getting parts mounted. 8)

I have some sponsors kicking in product but I ran into a snag with the mobo. I need one that the 980x will fit into so I'm a bit limited considering it needs to have the red,white,black color combo.

I'll have more soon. I am not sure how I'll be getting all the cable sleeving done in time for the upcoming lan. There are so damn many cables! I bought some paracord in red. It's ssssoooooooo nice.

4. BOBDBONE

Today was a good news day. I have another sponsor...

Patriot!

They are sending me a Wildfire 120 SSD and a pack of Viper Extreme ram - 24 Gb to be exact :p

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=194&id=1041&type=1

http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=8&catid=85&prodgroupid=211&id=1077&type=17

Not only is this stuff completely badass but it also just happens to match the colors of the build!! And will perform to the level I need with all the high end parts I'm using.

On a sadder note, I am surprised at one major manufacturer who I contacted about using their motherboard. I called and spoke to the rep, and was told to send him an email with details. I have not heard back at all. I sent another email asking for an answer either way so I can place an order if I need to and never heard back at all. It just rubs me the wrong way. Not because I didn't get the parts sponsored, but because they basically chose to leave me hanging. Just seems rude. Maybe I'm just cranky. But now I'm buying an ASUS Rampage 3 Formula board instead. I didn't approach ASUS about sponsoring but I don't have time at this point. [end cry]

So on to the show...

I am happy to be finishing the paint up. I really love this white a lot. It just seems so clean.

I brought some more parts into my office to drool on.

[​IMG]

and I put a few on the frame. Now it's starting to take shape.

[​IMG]

I had a minor paint boo-boo on the top bezel and I will just re-spray the whole thing since it's easy to work with.

I picked up some material for a really really cool window that I'll be installing soon.

And I got all my stencils ready for the logo's and lettering I'll be doing in red paint.

Sooo, it's coming together.

5. BOBDBONE

I have a little more painting done, and I ordered the last of my hardware today. :p

I had planned to head down to my buddy Greg's machine shop to beg him to let me use the mill to cut the window out of the side panel. But, I already had enough stuff laying around to just slam it out in my shop.
    I made a template out of wood and routed it out. It only took about 20 minutes for the whole process and it came out perfect.

If you've never made a template it's a lot easier than you might think. You put a piece of plywood down that's a bit bigger than the side panel. I use 24" x 24" pieces.
    Then you get some 1" X 2" wood strips and cut them so the fit under the side panel and prop it up off the plywood like so -

[​IMG]

Keep them as close to the area of the hole as possible. These support the edge of where you are cutting and will help keep it clamped tight.

So then you cut a square hole in another sheet of plywood ( or 3/4" particleboard ) and lay it exactly where you want your window. Then take some long screws and screw them in through the top piece and into the bottom piece as close as you can to the edge of your case panel. This will clamp the the panel down and now you have a template.

[​IMG]

Then you take a router with a straight bit that has a flush bearing and you go around the edge. It trims the metal off, leaving a nice smooth cut edge.

[​IMG]

You might think you would need to round the corners of your template to get the rounded corners for your window. But no! The router bit and bearing are round so they hit the inside corner but can only leave the shape that the bit is. So if it's a 1" diameter bit, you will get that radius, if it's a 1/2" diameter bit, you will get a smaller radius. Easy!!

So then sand the sharp edges scuff it all up and clean it. Then Primer that new panel!

[​IMG]

Remember, it does not have to be a square window. You can get creative and do a round one ( Like a ship portal window. ... Ohhh mod idea? ) or even a totally odd shape.

I have a bunch of stencil work to do on this soon. As soon as I find the perfect red paint. I will be adding the Enermax name and logo to several places on the case. I also will now be adding Patriot to the case as a great sponsor.

So much to do. But I will admit... I love it. 8)

6. BOBDBONE

I received a package from Patriot today....

Some Viper Extreme ram and a Wildfire 120 SSD :shock: :D 8)

Thank you so much to them and Scot specifically. They really do support the modding and gaming community. I know that when I make purchases I always think about who supports us and I buy from them. When they give, we must give back. 8)

I fixed my paint boo-boo on the top panel and assembled it. It's starting to take shape!!

[​IMG]

Notice all the controls are gone? No power button, reset, usb, etc? They are being "relocated". Here is a shot of where they were -

[​IMG]

I filled the holes and smoothed out that section.

and most important - my boy Truman approves ...

[​IMG]

Either that or he's wishing I would mod a fire hydrant one of these days. :p

Now it's time to tear apart the psu for the same white paint, and a ton of fans that will also get painted white. They had fans that were white already but wouldn't you know it they discontinued them right before I needed them!

I've got some paint on the door with the window cut-out and will be making a window for it tomorrow. It will have a cool window treatment that should really set it off.

I've got all my stencils ready to go and my red paint is standing by for logo's and lettering.

And I'll be attempting a tricky little job making some cool racing stripes out of acrylic square bar.

Why do all my mods seem to consist of things that are experimental.. :?

Hopefully you guys learn from it and are like...screw that!! Leave the headaches to me.

7. BOBDBONE

Lots done this weekend.

I am working on all the extas that needed painted white.

DVD drive, fan controller, 9 fans, etc.

I pulled the new fan controller out of the box and tore it apart. I sprayed it with the matching white/red combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the DVD player but I think I'll spare you the pic. I think you can visualize a white DVD burner.

I took apart the Platimax PSU and was very impressed instantly at how well built it is. It's a modders dream because it pulls completely apart without have to snip wires or remove solder! And it's a 100% modular unit so the wires for the 24 pin are not there either. I love it! I may only buy these from now on. It's so easy to paint it now. Thank you Enermax!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you look at the case you can see the gray strips that run down the top and front on both sides. THey look cool, but I didn't care for how the had a flat spot. I took them out and I am replacing them with 1/4" acrylic square bar. They will now sit down flush and I will match the contour of the case.

[​IMG]

Here's the bar before I took my heat gun to it.

[​IMG]

This pic is kinda bright but I think you can see it now inside the grooves. I will be painting these red so it will look like a set of double racing stripes.

[​IMG]

I started on the fans too but I ran short of white paint and primer. I have these things all taken apart to make it easy and lucky for me you can snap the fan right off the housing! Thank you AGAIN Enermax. Much love
    :)

[​IMG]

And then I also have the logo and name painted on the side panels. Still curing for a sand and buff but it looks great. The red is perfect and it just pops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also did the Enermax name on this side panel but I guess I forgot to take a pic so I will later. But here is a shot of it with the window cut out..

[​IMG]

More soon. I'm exhausted . Bye.

8. BOBDBONE

More progress on this - good and bad.

First the bad.....

Problem - I went to mount the Engine Start switch into the center hole of the digital readout panel and guess what.... it's barely too big. So it looks like it wasn't exactly the size as advertised. So now I get to scramble to find a new switch that will hopefully fit.

So this ---vvvvv
    [​IMG]

Plus this ---vvvvv
    [​IMG]

Equals no fit!!

Ok I'm done crying..

On to the good stuff.

I let the bars dry over night that I made for the accent strips and they look nice.

[​IMG]

I couldn't wait to try them out!

[​IMG]

OMG I LOVE IT

And with the panels on and the feet -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stood back and stared for a few minutes admiring it. It's exactly like I saw it in my head. But only I love it even more. It's bright, bold, and sporty.

You may notice the Enermax name is offset from top to bottom. That is so I can add the "Type R" emblem underneath.

So this really made my night much better. And I'm done working for the night and it's not even 3 a.m. yet. :roll:

You like?

bulldogjeff likes this.
  9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I've just read through the whole build and it's looking good, got all the right stuff for a superb build. The inset strips done in red really set it off nicely, thats a nice red.

Really nice work. looking forward to more from this one.... +Rep

10. BOBDBONE

More good progress -

But first! Sometimes I swear I could hug the UPS driver....

[​IMG]

Ohhh good stuff!

I had to go to plan B for the power button since my Engine Start button was too big. I threw in a stainless vandal switch. I have the 2 power meters on the outsides. And of course it was also painted white.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of what the front looks like with all the stuff in it -

[​IMG]

Pretty clean and simple. Once it's powered up it will look awesome with all the digital readouts.

I sanded down the fan blades and repainted them. I never want to do that again.

I repainted the side panel that had the Enermax name on it because I wet sanded it to buff it and one of the letters burned through.

I have a guy making me decals to apply rather than fight this paint. I'll get those tomorrow and apply them.

I will start mounting hardware tomorrow as well.

8)

11. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Awesome!!!

12. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

super speedy bob! Nice CLEAN job, I wouldn't be able keep my grubby dirty finger prints off of a white case.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

This is looking great, wonderful stuff! :thumb:

The only complaint I can even think to make are the two huge Enermax logos plastered on the side panels. I do love them as a company, and I know they sponsor you, but it really detracts from the theme of the build in my opinion. :)

14. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

+1 on what KidMod said.
    The paint job is great and great concept overall. Maybe you could get rid of the sidepanel air vent and give it a much plain look but I guess is too late for that :)

15. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

I didnt have hopes it would look good with the first couple pics, but now im intrigued. Nice work on the acrylic rods.

16. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

I almost didnt bother continuing to read when I saw the photoshop mock up.
    Glad I did though, nice work mate

17. BOBDBONE

Thanks guys.

I'm glad you stuck around to see it come together. It's going to get more paint work too.

And I should have the window in it tonight I hope. I'm doing something cool with it.

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

What are you gonna do with that engine start button? And where did you find it, I'm still hunting that exact button...

19. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Search Honda S2000 engine start button ;)

20. domthecondom

domthecondom Noob Modder

amaizing :) white is really the new black :) wane see what you do with the PSU apprently there horrible to work with......Well thats what the guys told me who done my psu...the surface is horrible