1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Game launches new game updating service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Sep 2010.

1. puck

puck What's a Dremel?

Retailers will only disappear if they are not supported.

To be honest I'll only ever buy anything from the web if there is a significant price difference, for games I'm not that bothered about a small gap. I guess I'm old-school, I still like being able to go into a shop and purchase something.

Some people are now thinking that the price of a new game should be £28. This is neither realistic or sustainable. As WarrenJ said what we need is competition, the more players in the market the better the competition and innovation.

2. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Could be handy if you have a lot of non-steam games that need updating. I'm guessing they are hoping it could become a platform for them to sell games as well.

3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Surely a better option would be to offer an update disc/memory stick containing patches for all registered purchases? That would avoid any potential security issues with online updates (that "remote download" option looks particularly worrying from a security perspective - what a wonderful way to spread malware) and provide a permanent copy (as opposed to say, Steam, where all your purchases vanish if Valve disable your account).

From a business perspective, physical updates could be sold multiple times also.

Tags: Add Tags