1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GameStation: "We own your soul"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Apr 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

People generally don't read T&Cs when shopping online anyway. Besides, customer protection laws usually void most of the ******** they put in them.

But yes, it's a good publicity stunt.

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Well this is part of the problem with society today (but thats a different thread).

3. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I laughed so hard at this :D omg, brilliant

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Had to comment, made me lol :D.
    Wicked april fools lmao :D, people who opted out given £5 voucher :D.
    But to be honest some terms from too many places are way over the top & would take hours to read through, all terms & conditions could surely be slimmed down some to save customers some time, all to often it's a pile of blah blah blah, I always try to speed through checking the first line of each part & if it doesn't seem relevant I skip to the next bit.

5. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

there needs to be a way to convey the gist of the legalese in far few words. most of the TaC that i read through simply amount to

1. don't copy the software without permission
    2. don't use the software without a license
    3. we are not responsible for damages cause by this software
    4. we are not responsible if the software does not work as advertised
    5. we are not responsible to show you how to use the software
    6. all other unnamed risks and liabilities are assumed by you
    7. don't sue us

throw in a bunch of clarifications of what "this software" is and what "your stuff" is and which parties are who ("the company" etc.) and you basically have a 10 to 20 page standard TaC. some companies throw in things like agreeing to buy all support for said software from them, or put in an all sales final and nonrefundable clause, but as said by a few others, most of those tend to be unenforceable due to consumer protection laws. then there are all the trademark clauses, which are irrelevant to pretty much anyone since they are typically registered and protected already, but are put in anyway for some reason i do not understand. . .

what we really need is a legal standard for summarizing legal documents. . . .

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Where do you go to if you actually find something you disagree with in some Terms and Conditions? lets say you want a new mobile phone contract and read the Terms and Conditions of a O2 contract, find something you disagree with, what options do you have? go to the competition? oh wait, they have terms and conditions too and they may look different because they where written by a different lawyer, but when it comes down to it they all mean the same anyway, you give up any rights you may would have and give them the right to do whatever they want.
    Point is simple, you have to sign the terms and conditions anyway or you can't have anything, no roof over your head, no transportation, no computer, no nothing. So what is the point of them being understandable or reading them? You know that you are signing away all your rights to start with, no need to read or understand them.

7. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

What a stupid thing to say!

Everyone knows wizards are real.

8. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

This is pathetic, not because it perpetuates the false belief that everything in a EULA is somehow legally binding, but because they somehow think you've missed out by failing to claim the £5 voucher.
    What exactly can I buy from Gamestation that will cost no more than £5 incl. p&p? I'd hazard a guess at nothing. I can buy nothing from Gamestation for £5 incl. p&p. O NOES! I missed out on this amazing offer!
    The 'stunt' is no more than an insult to the intelligence.

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Erm little thing, this isn't a EULA, it's a shopping sites terms of sale, not a license agreement to buy from them.

10. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

HAHA.......is that just what EA and -Activision have been trying to do for years
    spoonz

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Normally having to check off for an additional clause should sound some alarms. It may be hard to read Legalese but at least a slight brush over should alert you when words like "immortal" and "soul" come up. It's a good lesson to teach people, don't just take things for granted. Very well done by GameStation!

12. Kamanashi

Kamanashi What's a Dremel?

Yes, but you would lose and be charge a court cost. Plus, it's not like they did anything wrong. Some people may not believe a law is alright, but that doesn't mean they can sue and win for someone enforcing it. Think or it that way.

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I bought Blue Dragon on the 360 for £4.99 on the gamestation website a couple of months ago, no postage and packing.

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

that is bloody brilliant! totally support what they did.

15. WestHej

WestHej What's a Dremel?

:),

good job to whoever got the vouchers!

16. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Legally speaking, you have to give 'proper notice' of any unusual terms or conditions or exclusions in a contract. It would be normal to buy a game and be expected not to pirate it, for example. But anything else that you would not normally assume you have to draw proper attention to, either by having it in bold or in a prominent place.

The same goes for example in a car park if their T&C exclude liability for any injury you get whilst in the car park, that is not really normal - yes exclude liability for theft but personal injury? If I go into a shop and slip over on some water I would normally expect them to be responsible for that. So they would need to put a proper notice by the ticket machine and/or entrance to say "NO LIABILITY WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY ON THESE PREMISES".

So really, it's just a bit of fun, but doesn't mean anything at all. PC Gamer did something similar many years ago for their demo CD, saying if you wanted to use it you transferred possession of your home to them. Of course nobody read it :p

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

This guy obviously lost his soul and isn't happy.

18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

hehe, that's pretty funny.

Nice to see somebody somewhere in that company still has a sense of humour

19. jrep

jrep What's a Dremel?

I might just part with my immortal soul in exchange for someone taking this experimental result to court and getting rid of all those inane click-throughs!

20. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

This reminds of the Simpsons episode where Bart sells his soul to Milhouse

Tags: Add Tags