1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Gaming CPU Choice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by confusis, 5 Jun 2011.

1. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Ok guys here goes:

I'm attending a LAN next weekend, and plan on gaming. (duh)
    Will be playing L4D2, America's Army 3, Trackmania, Alien Swarm, maybe some half life deathmatch.

With that out of the way, here's the question:
    I have '2' CPUs for my rig. I usually have the 'quad core' 2.2ghz in it due to folding/3d design work+rendering.This CPU doesn't like to be overclocked. I also have a lower wattage 'dual core' that starts at 2.6 but clocks past 2.8 easy and cool.

Combined with my GTS450 OC, which CPU would be the best option for gaming?

(for the technically minded, the 'quad core' is 2x Opteron OSA275 Dual Cores @ 2.2ghz, 95 watts each. the'dual core' is 2x Opteron OSP252's clocked at 2.6-2.8+ and 68 watts each.)

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Games usually like clock speed more than more cores. I would go for the dual core CPU, and you will also be able to show off your overclock :rock:

3. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

very few games are optimized to use more than 2 cores. unless you plan on doing a massive amount of multitasking...go with the dual core and its higher clock.

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Thanks guys, swapped them over just now. Have yet to game on it yet to test though, just stress testing the OC :)

5. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

my dual core barley handed source games (averaging 50fps dropping to 20's). i now use a quad core and well 100fps not a bother. id recommend the quad.