1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gartner: Windows is collapsing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Apr 2008.

1. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

your analogy doesnt make sense because it is not 50 times and you need to select a good bit for linux aswell, I am not even going into the how to partition your hard drive with linux (yes I know there is a automatic for this now) but how about when you want to install something after the install? this is my point. we can go back and forth on the little things but it does not change the facts that the people as a whole just are not ready.

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Partitioning on about any Linux install is easier then on a XP install...

And I was also talking adding software after the initial OS install. If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't go about comparing things...

But I agree, most people cling onto things they are used to. Just look at the thread about the Bit-tech forum change...

3. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

and you were also talking about adding software after the inital os install??? I do not see anywhere in this thread where you said that. And I know exactly what I am talking about. are you sure I did not see you in walmart trying to return a TomTom?

4. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Installing stuff in Linux is probably faster (possibly easier) when its available (and works), However, there are times when the default packages aren't right, up to date, or exactly what you need (like if it wasn't compiled with something)

Personally, if you can plonk the Linux cd in, install it, and it works on your computer, your probably fine for a lot of "standard" tasks (browsing, music, email, video etc)
    But if you want more then that, you will probably need a decent(ish) understanding of Linux to get things to work

Fortunately, there are lots of guides out there, as long as you don't want cutting edge software, there is probably a guide out there that can help you (if your willing to search)

If your a novice, but only want to do simple things, Linux is fine - if you want to do more then that, its a bad choice
    If you are somewhat competent with computers, and are willing to learn a bit, Linux is fine for you - otherwise it will be a bad choice

5. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Linux is excellent for many tasks. The only task it doesn't do well is run all Windows software and DirectX (forget about WINE, I've not managed to use it yet). It can be a word processor, spreadsheet maker, database, email client and server, web client and server, number cruncher, fileserver, telephone exchange, router, domain manager, etc etc.

If Linux runs the software that you need, then Linux is what you should use. If it doesn't, then don't.

I use Linux for Monte Carlo number crunching, office tasks, email client and surfing the web. The only reason I have got Windows is for the games that haven't been ported to Linux yet, although there are some very nice games for Linux.

Installing Vista on it's own is just as easy, if not slightly easier than installing Linux, however, in Windows, you're only installing the OS, not the other packages that you may need, such as a number of Office Packages, a selection of media players, image manipulation software, compilers (if you want them), games, etc etc. It has taken me nearly a day to install the above on Windows, it took me an hour or less to install the same sorts of package on Linux.

ClearCaseMan; it was perfectly plain what Glider was talking about in his post. That's why the post said "Install in Linux" not "Install Linux". However, I agree that people are not ready for Linux yet. They have been "conditioned" into thinking that Microsoft is best and anything else is just too hard. If people actually used Linux instead of thinking it is too hard to use, then we would see just how "popular" MS software becomes...

Andy

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Tags: Add Tags