1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GeForce 7900 GTX Roundup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Mar 2006.

1. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

im glad i stuck with my X1900 XT than wait to get 7900 series.

Fantabbytastic.

2. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Nice story, Me I'm still looking at buying a pair of eVGA 7900GTX pcie cards w/512Mb for My dual cpu dual 16x pci-e motherboard(32x[16x each card] video on the H8DCE) each as their ram is already overclocked and It going at 1760MHz(1.76GHz) from what I've seen online(mainly pricewatch.com). :D

3. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Life is tuff sometimes Bigz...huh?

Last edited: 16 Mar 2006
  4. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Along with x-bit and tech report, I continue to enjoy your articles guys. Thanks for not giving me another speed race. And THANKS for talking about IQ.

Now show me a way to quiet this freakin' noise box!! :wallbash:

5. otm3x

otm3x What's a Dremel?

Very intersting article ! .. Well done on the findings on the texture Filtering quality .

Nice to metion that Widescreens gives you a totally different gaming experience :D :rock: I suggest that anyone have the money and
    looking for a LCD... to get a widescreen LCD..

Honesty , I enjoy the " best-playable comparsions " . IT's more real-life.
    You would never know the BFG 7900 GTX only makes differences in some
    of the games.. :thumb:

6. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

bigZ, dego:

i think i has a lot to do with how connected i am with current graphics cards. I wont be upgrading for some time yet, and i dont run all these fancy filtering and AA modes so I dont know first hand what they do for me. it was fine when we were just comparing 8xAA to 16xAA, that was easy. 16x is higher than 8x... but when you have one company that calls their transparency AA one thing and the other company calls it something else, then its confusing and hard to tell which one is going to look better, if they arent infact the same thing. i see that at the bottom of the test setup page, and it defines them, but doesnt let me know which is better over another. for that i would have to go back to when ati and nvidia introduced those modes and read your articles from then. and i think thats sorta where you loose me. maybe you should have some sorta wiki thing where you can click on those modes and get a nice definition about them. i think that would clear a lot up a be a cool feature for bit (dont think ive seen that anywhere else, maybe i should take this to the feedback forum!)

But im still interested in knowing whos on top. From anand's article i know that ATI won some and Nvidia won some, i'll call it a tie. I will agree, BigZ, that anand's articles are kinda dry. I'd go as far as to say they are boring, but they do some things I like very much. 1) they run really high resolution on a CRT monitor (2048x1536).. and 2) i can just shoot through the article really fast without actually reading it much. this is NOT to say they are superior. Im sure you dont want people skipping through your article and not reading it! :p

After reading through your article, I didnt know what was what performance wise. I got some great insight as to the changes form 7800 to 7900. and yes they are interesting! But i dont come out with what i wanted deep down. --that is when i looked at the article before i clicked the link i thought, "who is on top now?". I came out with a much better knowledge of what settings i can run the games i dont play at.

so, all in all, i think its probably a good thing youre not satisfying me. or else you'd be just like the other guys, boring. But then again i can always read your site for interesting info, and then go off to find my 'video card tug of war' numbers so to speak elsewhere.

edit: also bigZ, i'll have a looksie at tech report, dont think ive been there other than the odd search result that led me there.

7. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Wait, so you don't play the games? Or you don't use those resolutions? Are you at higher resolutions then?

My creed...

I am Joe Gamer. I have XX hardware. I want to know what kind of performance I can expect with this hardware. I honestly don't care who can push pixels the fastest in some sort of racemark.

I'm also looking to see "what I need to get" in order to hit that res with a decent amount of IQ. I don't play 3dmark. I play games.

8. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Even I play a few games, Among other things, Web surfing, Email, Video, editing, etc.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Good review and tests!!

I was hoping for more from the 7900GTX, but at least I now know my best option by far is to get another identical 7800GTX 256, and run SLi, as it's by far the cheapest way, and will still outperform either single card offering from ATi or nVidia.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll have a look into doing something like that. We did an article like that a little while ago, but it didn't cover transparency/adaptive AA and high quality AF. The first article we did was here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/07/04/aliasing_filtering/1.html

I think it would be worth doing a second one in that series to help to explain the differences between Adaptive AA and Transparency AA. :thumb:

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

That would be great. It would be cool to have a whole article dedicated to comparing the filtering and IQ settings from each company.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll see what we can do next week :thumb:

13. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

Any chance of a 7900GT round up?

I'm thinking of Evga 7900GT OC SC....

Not many people can afford the 7900GTX, and since the 7900GT is much more affordable, I think it would have gathered more attention if you did a 7900GT round up.

bye bye

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

We said we'd be covering 7900 GT / 7600 GT in other articles :thumb:

15. Gosu

Gosu What's a Dremel?

Really nice article, thanks.
    Write more! :)

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  16. KimberHitman

KimberHitman What's a Dremel?

I'm a little confused--will the ASUS card actually put up some higher fps than the BFG after overclocking it? I'm a little lost in the 'Overclocking' section... Thanks.

Edit: I liked the article--it gave me the info I need for comparison.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2006
  17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hi there & welcome to the forums.

The ASUS card will return higher performance than the BFG Tech card when overclocked to the frequencies found. However, we can't garauntee that if you buy the ASUS, you'll automatically get higher frequencies than are possible with the BFG Techs. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags