Windows GFWL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by caffin999, 11 Sep 2009.

1. caffin999

caffin999 Bit of a noob, but learning quickly

having a bit of trouble with games for windows live. i've heard bad things tbh but as i'd never played halo 2(pc) and came across a cheap copy i didn't want to miss out.

everytime i try to log in it says there is a problem with the network or windows live cant log in

is this a temporary problem do you guys reckon? the website seems to accept my windows live email account log in so dont get why the game wont. i tried to create a new one and that page wont bloody load lol

any help would be appreciated as im on a bit of a halo roll at mo having just played through first one completely (very late i know! please dont shout at me :))

PS cant edit title which should obviously read GFWL :)

Last edited: 11 Sep 2009
  2. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

GFWL is a horrifically buggy and confusing thing, though when it does work it works really well...

I've had similar problems in the past with fallout 3 and i'm not 100% what i did that finally fixed it when i was fiddling with it.

Anyway: GFWL is split into two different parts for some stupid reason, (which i suspect share some components as one breaking can seem to break the other part) the in-game client and the standalone client.

if you've haven't tried the standalone client, try that.

If you have tried it, uninstall it and the game itself, install the standalone client then install the game... that *should* do the trick :worried:

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I had this problem a while back, couldn't log in. I can't for the life of me remember the solution though, it could have been flushing the DNS cache. Tried a search but can't find it. I'll keep thinking though and post if I remember.

4. GravitySmacked

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You can edit your own titles etc by going to "Thread Tools-> Edit Thread" iirc, although I can't check with uber mod powers without a logout...

6. caffin999

thanks for edit

i can get onto the gfwl program most of the time

in game i managed to log in, it downloaded an update, then wouldn't log in after that. i tried unblocking a load of ports that a windows thread suggested. still no luck.

7. GravitySmacked

Does it give you an error code / message? If it does you can google it or cross check it against the link I posted. What OS are you using, if Vista I would still recommend the TCP stack fix.

8. caffin999

its not giving an error code just says cannot log in. there may be a network problem or the windows live id service may not be available.

if it helps at all it says when you click the network status button that Internet IP adress is not signed in. system link adress is not active. and UPnP is not signed in.

ill try the tcp stack fix

9. GravitySmacked

Yeah give it a go as the issues you're having are sounding extremely familiar. I know it may look daunting but if you follow the instructions then you'll be fine ;)

caffin999 likes this.
  10. caffin999

nice one fac51 it worked. ridiculous that its that complicated. that's something the average user isn't going to be able to do! if i just asked my gf how to open the command box she would stare at me blankly lol

have some rep (as this seems to be the norm nowadays :))

and thanks everyone for your help, once again its bit tech to the rescue :)

11. GravitySmacked

Glad you've got it sorted ;)

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

GFWL, I'm at a loss

I've looked and looked, tried thing after thing and I still can't get Games For Windows Live to work. Everytime I open it it says:

"Games for Windows - LIVE Client has encountered a problwm and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and under it it says "If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost"

I've tried a few meathods I found oline but so far nothing has worked. All I want to do it download Mothership Zeta for Fallout 3

13. GravitySmacked

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Merged the two GFWL troubles threads - combine the love! :p

Tags: