1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Gigbyte GTX 460 1GB Owners Unite!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's dead good isn't it!

How are the overclocks going? Also have you tried Gigabytes overclocking utility?

2. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Atm all i've done is OC it to thel levels that CPC did in their review. That is to say Core @ 845, Shader @ 1690 and Mem @ 2200. All done in MSI Afterburner. Haven't tried Gigabytes utility though. Is it worth a try?

What have you managed with yours?

3. in2ition

in2ition What's a Dremel?

I have this card too.
    Here is my OC, 85*C Furmark stability test - burning room - 30 min
    1.087 voltage with the fans at 70% ( the limit for both with the stock bios )

[​IMG]

4. mkb

mkb Minimodder

In a sad turn of events I found that the cards weren't stable at the speeds I previously suggested at default voltages. Disappointing seeing as the EVGA's I had were fine at these speeds. I pushed up the voltage to 1.087 and it was stable but too hot for my liking - my top card got up to 99C :s). I'm now tinkering with 3DMARK V trying to get a stable overclock without boosting the voltages.

ps. Still using MSI afterburner, couldn't find a GIGABYTE OC utility.

5. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Try 850/1700/2000. Think its the memory thats to high and causing it to be unstable. I'm running these right now. Looking good so far.

6. mkb

mkb Minimodder

thought it would be the mem but its not. I'm at 815/1630/2200 and stable. If i push the core clock any higher pc locks up.

If I had some space between my two cards I would push them as hard as they would go voltage-wise but as it is the top card is a good 20C hotter than the bottom. I will try a small voltage increase then re-evaluate from there.

7. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Oh your on SLI, could be temp problems then as you figured. Test them 1 at a time see if they past that, then if so then you will know for sure.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My mistake! The overclock utility is only for certain models, ah well.

Just tried overclocking with MSI Afterburner. Without touching memory, which has debatable gains anyway, I've reached 820 on the core and 1640 on the linked shader. All on stock voltage at the moment and FurMark is happy to chug away in the backdrop! Temperature of 77 and the ambient is quite cool at the moment seeing as we have a spot of summer rain!

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just a quick update to my post above, I am now on 840 core and 1680 on the shader!

All on stock voltage/bios with a temperature of 77, tested on FurMark for 30 minutes.

Also whilst browsing the internet, watching a video and downloading a game :D

10. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Yea that's what I did, mem was fine but its the core clock that stalls the process. I can get it higher with increased voltages but I'm just unsure whether it will be worth it really. I'm cursing my motherboard for not having the pci-e x16 lanes slightly better distributed but at the time I had no idea I was ever going to get SLI.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Well even at stock speed GTX 460 SLI is gonna kick ass!

Settled on an overclock of 810 on the core and 1620 for the shaders, leaves a little breathing space and the temps are down to 65 playing games such as Left 4 Dead 2. Less demanding games dip to 55 which is well good.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I've just started to play with the voltage on my Gigabyte GTX 460 and bumped it to the maximum of 1.0870 and have currently manged a core of 880 and 1760 on the shaders. It seems stable at the moment testing against FurMark. Also tried 900 on the core but that didn't work out, so I'm looking for a happy medium between 900 and 880 just out of curiosity with the voltage maxed on stock bios.

Very much doubt this will be maintained in an SLI setup but hope 810 at stock voltage is doable with reasonable temperatures. I'll post my thoughts when the second card arrives.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I just read the specs for your motherboard and the SLI is really right on top of each other!

Although do you think something like the Antec Spot Cooler would lower those temperatures if you faced it directly alongside the short length of the two GTX 460's? Hopefully push some of that hot air towards the exhaust end of the card!

Tried this myself just now and temperatures are slower on the rise. I've now hit 890 on the core and 1780 shaders with the voltage bumped to 1.0870. Temperatures plateau at 85 and the entire setup seems stable with FurMark again doing its stuff in the background. A 215MHz overclock on the core compared to the reference GTX 460 is really excellent and whisper quiet to boot! I'm really happy with this card :thumb:

14. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

How do you get the fan speed to 100% with the Gigbyte GTX 460 1GB. It won't go pass 70%.

15. in2ition

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

in2ition is right, even though the fan never hits 70% in use, the temperatures are kept well under control anyway at default fan speeds.

With the overclock I stated above, real gaming temperatures have only been hitting a maximum of 70 for today!

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Reposting because nobody noticed first time, and it's not worth a new thread:

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Depends what games you play and what resolution you play them at!

If you simply fancy an upgrade then I'm finding my overclocked Gigabyte GTX 460 hard to beat for the price. With an SLI setup incoming!

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  19. in2ition

I had before a 260 GTX. Now I own a 460 GTX. The upgrade is about 25%. Now I can play all the games at ultra high ( except metro 2033 lol, dx11 only at high ). With the 260gtx I played at high. I wanted a new upgrade because I got a very good price for my old card.

20. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Yesterday I did 0.987v/850/2000/70%

Today I'm at 1.087v/875/1750/2000/70%

Not tried 900 core clock yet but if I do I would like to run at 100% fan speed just in case.

And to boiled_elephant if the GTX 260 is the NVIDIA equivalent to the 4870 then You should be looking at round 20% increase and even more if you OC the card.