1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Gigbyte GTX 460 1GB Owners Unite!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 9 Aug 2010.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Only just reading up on the MSI Hawk and it looks mighty impressive! Although I can imagine a premium of £60 over the Gigabyte once it's released. Would be pretty cool if you can achieve a 1GHz clock on this GPU however! :D

Still waiting for your clocks with voltage pumped up on the Gigabyte GPU, especially those clocked at 845 on stock! Curious just how far those would go. My best card is 835 on stock and 890 with maximum voltage. The 845 guys could probably get past 900MHz!

2. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I'm quite tempted to try the voltage adjustment as it runs fine in games at 845, haven't even tried higher yet. The memory is a bit odd, it runs fine in games at 2100 but when I was playing a video with vlc I got white pixels all over the place, when I dropped it back to 2050 it was fine. I just don't know if the voltage will let me overclock the memory more or if there will be much gain if I just overclock the gpu/shaders more on there own.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

In the process of getting mine up to 835 core. I hit a speed where my benchmark results didn't increase, I decided to see if increasing the mem frequency would help, and it did. This may just have been because the crysis benchmark isn't very consistant, :D

I am tempted to see if I can hit 900, but I don't want to knacker the card, :D

4. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

Dirt 2 has a really good benchmark where it does increase FPS with over-clocking.

5. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I'm going to replace the TIM on my cards tonight then pump up the voltage and see where I end up. I'll keep you all informed.

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Well I've now had a go at overclocking mine with the max volatage avaiable in MSI Afterburner and I am quite surprised at the increase it allowed especially to the memory.
    At stock voltage I managed 845/1690/2050.
    With max voltage I can get to 920/1840/2300. I tried 930 but the drivers crashed and restarted themselves. There was another 40mhz left on the memory but I didn't try it.
    I'm interested to see what other people can manage and to see if mkb's new TIM will make much difference.

7. nickolay

nickolay What's a Dremel?

scan txt me saying that the gigabyte gtx 460 is out of stock so all my items will be delayed :(
    i'm really disappointed with the scan as it was my first order :(

8. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I must have got one of the last ones then, I got it yesterday though I did place the order a week ago but specified a date. Looke like I got a pretty nice sample too. :rock:

9. mkb

mkb Minimodder

So i've replaced my TIM on both cards. It looked like Gigabyte had applied their TIM with a knife there was so much caked on there it was ridiculous :D It has most definitely reduced my temps under load but by how much I'm not entirely sure.

I increased my vcore to 1087 and left my mem at 2200 and pushed my core clock and shader clock to 913/1826 and this was stable under benchmark with no artifacting. However it crashed a couple of times whilst playing BFBC2 so I've lowered the OC to 907/1814 for the time being and it seems to be stable. Temp wise before I replaced the TIM my top card would get to touching 100*C with the overvolt but now it peaks at around 80*C under full load.

Obviously I'm pretty happy with the results esp the temps so i'll be keeping the voltage and OC maxed for the foreseeable future ^^

10. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Well like you mentioned mine was getting quite hot with the over-volt even though I'm not running sli like you. I've reduced it back to what I managed on stock, though when I get round to doing the TIM myself i'll put it back up.

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just done a bit more OC'in, :D.

850 core seems to be the max mine will manage on stock voltage.

I've just got 865 core with 1025mV and it seemed stable, needs a longer test.
    Temps are at about 66 degrees.

This is looking promising for 900 core, :D

I've not done much with the memory yet, I think I've got it at 1895.

And after a while I may look at replacing the TIM, although TIM application is something I'm not entirely confident in doing, I'm never sure if I've done it right. I know in theory what your supposed to do, :D

That's a damn good OC mkb and fast, :D, I don't think I dare put mine up that high yet, :D

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nothing to it really, I described the process in an earlier post on this thread! :thumb:

What TIM did you use in the end mkb?

Sounds like you are all getting some really good overclocks from the Gigabyte GTX 460's! I'm curious if my overclock could be limited by power to the PCI-E slot in some small way? My motherboard is an EVGA 680i (full fat version) and you can connect a 4-pin molex that supposedly helps with stability especially where SLI and overclocking is concerned. Perhaps time to invest in a molex extension cable and put this claim to the test!

Also recently noticed the 'snap crackle and pop' problem has reared its head on my setup with the high latency issues. Tends to be most prominent on YouTube videos and such! Fired off an e-mail to Nvidia who say the problem is known and should be fixed in a future driver release. In the mean time a quick fix is to stress the graphics card! I run a light stress program on the graphics card in the background (like kombuster which is light in comparison to FurMark!) and latency drops to levels where you get no sound issues or dropped video frames!

13. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if it would make much difference plugging in the molex. Though cards can draw quite a bit of power from the pci/-e and an extension cable is certainly cheap enough to give it a go, it won't do any harm. :)

Also interesting that by stressing the gpu a little removes the latency problem I suspect it must be the way the card clocks down when not under much stress. A small stress program probably raises the clock speed while not causing so much load the gpu then can't run the video.

14. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Went for AC MX-3 very thick paste. Whilst I was at LAN both my cards were almost the same in temp +/- 5*C so I believe my high temp difference at home is due to the positioning of my case so close to the wall. It doesn't lead to very good airflow around the case and more likely recycles warm air.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'll give the extra power a go and see if that makes a difference anyway.

I thought along the same lines on the latency issue. Just needs the drivers kicking in to touch a little!

16. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Here's my liquid cooled GTX 460 1GB overclocked almost as far as it can go without a voltage tweak/modified bios to overvolt any further. 3DMark Vantage locked up while benching @950 clock speed. Going to try increase memory speed next.

GPU temps are only 10-12C higher from stock temps while gaming with the monster overclock.

Been nice and stable @ 930 clock speed the last 2 days with my i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz in the same water loop. Been getting great benchmarks and fps in games. :D

GPU score 17281!
    Edit: Now 18080! (pic 2)

Anyone used a modified bios yet to unlock further voltage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: 12 Sep 2010
  17. nickolay

hey all :p
    i finally made my first gaming comp yey!!! hehe
    anyway i got my lovely gigabite gtx 460 which is very nice.

so now is my question: how do i oc it hehe as i've been waiting for a long time to do it :)

btw i got only basic intel cpu cooler because the scan didnt send me the titan fenrir part (a bracket that supports mobo to the fenrir :().

18. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Download MSI Afterburner you can see in my screenshots above and move the sliders to the right to increase the clock speeds.

Use a benchmarking tool such as 3DMark Vantage or one built in to one of your games and benchmark at stock clock speeds then nudge the sliders along a bit at a time, benching as you go until the benchmark either won't load, crashes or shows strange flickering artifacts. :)

Increasing the voltage to the card will let you overclock further but will increase the temps.

Afterburner also has an on screen display option to show your GPU temp and frames per second while gaming or benchmarking which is useful to enable.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2010
  19. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Is it only possible to OC the card using MSI Afterburner? Not through the motherboard bios? I've never done it before so excuse the ignorance.

20. nickolay

if i dont have msi mobo will it make any diff with the gigabyte? and oggyb i think someone told me about the other program before but i forgot the name.

btw i dont have any games yet lol so how am i going to compair it?