A/V Good speakers for £100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OcSurfe, 8 Jan 2013.

1. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

If you can raise your budget slightly, and arrange for free delivery from Scan (check out the Scan sub-forum for more info), you could get these but they might be a bit too big and bulky for you.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Personally I'm a fan HiFi seperates. If you only want, or can only accomodate 2 speakers as opposed to a 5.1 setup then it my be worth looking around for second hand amps and speakers. Or save you pennies and check out Richer sounds for some deals, you could get a decent starter amp and speakers for less than £150 which would beat most of the bundled pc speaker systems on the market. And youy can upgrade over time like a PC without having to replace a set of kit.

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Pookie raises a good point. A separates system would allow upgrades at a later date. The only seperates system I could find in your budget was this bundle from Richer Sounds but I'll have to let someone more knowledgeable comment on it's quality. It's also only for in-store customers.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

That bundle looks decent for a starter kit to me. I would be tempted to spend a little more on the speakers but it's only just over your budget and would certainly beat the Edifers IMHO. Not wishing to brag but I have manged via upgrading individual units over the years to be the lucky owner of some B&W's with Rotel Amp's all wired up with QED cabling and the sound is sublime (especially when listening to HDCD's with my Rotel CD player). I started off with some cheap hand me down Technics seperates.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I would go second had for that sort of budget. Vintage amp and couple of decent bookshelves.

I've had those speakers in the Richer sound bundle(in fact they are currently used as stands for my actual speakers) from a different OEM. They're not awful, but they aren't good either. Lacks any low frequencies at all, soundstage and positioning are on par with mid range logitech stereo speakers.

7. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

see i can probably stretch to 200 notes as im looking at getting new system for the summer.
    i can go 5.1 just i dont think theres much need as i game in a small room and its only really for gaming.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Grab a pair of active monitors then. The Audioengine A2 has good reviews and falls well within the budget at £130.

9. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

I have the Audioengine A2. My opinion - best active desktop speakers I've heard for their size and price (generally used at £120 odd). For desktop use these are great, very good all around. But won't be useful for filling a large room party for example.

Even coming from a half decent hifi before, the music quality is so much better. You can hear lots more detail in music you know well already. And they're powerful enough for LOUD gaming too - I had BF3 on full volume and they won't distort (the front ports fire air at your face as you fire too hehe).

Downsides: Deep bass is lacking. Unavoidable as they're small, like 10cmx15cm, but if you like a deep thud you'll want something bigger (or can add a subwoofer at a later date). If I had the money I'd get their bigger version (A5) but that's £250 odd.

Bear in mind that bookshelf speakers from hifi separates are not at all designed for desktop listening - ideally about 6 feet away. This is great for filling a room with music but not for close listening and it will likely sound muddy at monitor distance.

So I'd recommend an active monitor set if you're sitting at the PC, or separates if you are going to be away from the desk. KRK are good, more home-studio type design. Same with M-Audio.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

11. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

Looked at the audioengine a2. Think
    I may go for them thanks for the advice