1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye tax disc

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Teelzebub, 23 Sep 2014.

1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It seems like some people think that the police pleasure themselves thoroughly by knowing your car journey to and from work...

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And we would have to import half of Africa to have enough man power to view all the cctv footage generated.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I guess you need to read some more about how ANPR works, i mean all you have to do is read the Wiki. :confused:
    You seem to think other people are paranoid delusional because it would seem you don't know what your talking about. https://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/National_Vehicle_Tracking_Database
    So are the London's congestion charge cameras "the police ones" ?
    I'm also guessing you didn't bother to read that "Chief constables are also negotiating with the Highways Agency, supermarkets and petrol station owners to incorporate their CCTV cameras into the network."

So while your local Tesco has no connection at the moment it will eventually.

Well we don't really know if it would take a lot of effort or not do we, as no information is made public. But we do know the current restraints on police use of ANPR data have been dictated by pragmatism rather than a concern for civil liberties. Giving every police officer free access to the system would overload the system, "make it unstable, slow it down", said John Dean, National ANPR co-ordinator for the Association of Chief Police Officers.

So how long before technology catches up with what they want, to enable every police officer free access to the system ? I guess we won't know as that information isn't made public.

So i guess that Chief constables negotiating with the Highways Agency, supermarkets and petrol station owners to incorporate their CCTV cameras into the network, means it's just not going to happen then ? Or that it's not going to expand to incorporate some of the 4-6 million CCTV cameras ?

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Again, you're reading in to things far far too much. Yes, the police have 'real time access' to the ANPR network (or rather, the cameras linked to their system), but the system is not automatically tracking your every movement. Essentially, you're conflating what can be just about achieved in central London with its very high numbers of ANPR cameras (mainly from the C-Charge) to cover the entire country.

I know several police officers, all of whom use ANPR to identify people who may have broken the law on the road. Usually a single ANPR camera gets a hit (or occasionally a cluster), and they know to look for the car in that area, or the ANPR in the police car goes off when it drives past. The use of ANPR to track journeys simply doesn't exist as "Mr X started driving from 64 Made Up Street and ended his journey at 12 Another Road", it exists as "Car X went through an ANPR at location X, Y Z and these cameras returned hits". It simply is not specific enough, and short of having a camera installed on every driveway, parking space and road in the country, it never ever will be.

To quote your own beloved Wiki:
    "ANPR records younger than 91 days can only be accessed on the NADC with an Inspector's authority to investigate serious and major crime. Enquiries over 90 days to a year require a Superintendent's authority and any searches over a year require a Superintendent's authority and must be for Counter Terrorism only."

So Bob the copper isn't going to use the system to check where you're driving. It's used for on-the-spot "Is this car suspicious or breaking the law?". Yes, it can give a hint as to a general location where a car may be found if there are multiple hits in a single area, but it's still vague.

And this is the problem with swallowing information on the internet without engaging your critical faculties. In fact, that website literally contains no information beyond "ANPR exists and it records your numberplate being at a certain place and time".

By 'police' cameras, I mean any which the police can access without a warrant or similar. Of course the police want to expand their network for free - doesn't mean it'll happen, and if it does it just means they'll spend less taxpayer's money on new cameras.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

ANPR cannot track vehicles in real time, this would require having a camera on every street in the UK.

All that the Wikipedia article says on real time tracking is:

[3] is a 2007 BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6902543.stm) which reads:

This does not mean that they can track a vehicle in real-time, but actually that they have been given real-time access to the data... a direct link into the ANPR results rather than an hourly/daily/etc upload of the info.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So when you said that i was "operating under the paranoid delusion that ANPR is basically a live tracking system of your car. It isn't." What you actually meant to say was that it's a live tracking system in central London.

Not that i made any geographical distinction of where they had a live tracking system when i said they can track vehicles in real time. But you go ahead and claim other people are a conspiracy nutcase, or that they are reading to much into things just because you jumped to the conclusion that a person meant the whole country.

Sorry but didn't you just say they can track a journey in central London because of the amount of cameras, now you are saying they can't because there are not enough cameras in the rest of the country. So answer this, what is preventing them from installing more cameras ? What's to stop them, as Mr Whiteley said "stitching together the existing camera network" that consist of 4-6 million CCTV cameras.

And how long before the network improves to the point that Bob the copper can get real time tracking ? Are computer networks and computers suddenly going to stop getting better and faster.

And how much information would you expect a public website to contain on something that the police refuse to make public, that has no public scrutiny, that has no oversight, that had no public consultation.

You seem to have failed to answer if the London's congestion charge cameras are 'police' cameras, or if and when they do expand their network that these new free cameras will be 'police' cameras.

There is no may about it, it's inevitable that hardware will improve.

I would go further, i have no problem with ANPR as a system. What i do have a problem with though is how there are next to no laws, no oversight, no restriction, how there has been no debate by politicians governing how, or when it should be used.

The extra pressure caused by getting rid of paper tax discs, the statements on expanding the network, the inevitable growth in what ANPR will be capable of in the future all while being totally unregulated is something the Stasi would be proud of.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Why would there laws, oversight, restrictions or debate?
    Politicians are working hard to make sure all your rights will become history,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29433919

So really, stop worrying about the potential tracking of cars because it is absolutely nothing compared to the evil the Prime Minister of a supposedly democratic country is up to.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea well the question is what will the British bill of rights contain.

It's not like scraping the Human Rights Act would change much, it would just mean instead of a case being heard by a high court first, they would have to go through the hassle and extra costs to take the case directly to Strasbourg.

9. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

the conjestion charge in London is ran and owned by Transport for London then the transport cameras transport for London.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2014
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Who guarantees the British bill of rights will ever exist? You will have zero recourse available if he instead passes a law that requires everyone to kill a left handed person on every tuesday of march.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Mr Cameron has promised that we would get a British bill of rights. :rolleyes:
    What do you mean a politicians promise isn't worth the paper it's written on ? :hehe:

Anyone would think politicians have a history of broken promises, like no top down reorganisation of the NHS, or no tuition fees.