1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Google Search - How long does it take to index a new site? And SEO help!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Lorquis, 12 Aug 2012.

1. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Right, I'm not normally one for shameless plugs so I'll leave that as an aside..

My main problem is I've launched my business' website yesterday and while I'm not expecting anything to happen overnight, I'm still a little confused.. I've not had much/any experience with the whole "getting google to rank you" thing and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on how long it normally takes, and if I'm doing something wrong?!

So far, I've submitted my URL to google and bing, I've used webmaster tools on google, and requested an index, fed it my site map, made sure I've got a proper robots.txt file and from what I can remember I've got most of the products on my site properly meta tagged but I could be wrong as I did delegate some of that :blush:...

Anyway, any help anyone can get is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Last edited: 14 Aug 2012
  2. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Pretty much all you can do is wait. Google will get to you when they get to you.

Might be worth getting a product feed sent to google shopping too.

3. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

It varies a lot depending on a number of factors so it's impossible to give a timescale, but if you've submitted it to Google, it usually takes around 24-48 hours from my personal experience.

Submitting the URL and a sitemap to Google is the best and fastest way to get on the index is what I've found.

Hope this helps.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

It depends on a billion factors.
    I've personally had UNLINKED ANYWHERE (but GA installed) sites list in under 24 hours, and other times had to wait for over a week.

You've done all you can... patience is key now... and link building. More (right) links = better ranking, and may or may not have an effect on how quickly you get indexed.

5. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I found that my site was listed in 24hours when GA was installed when links from facebook, twitter and linked inn were directed to it

6. Lorquis

It seems to have come through now, I think I was being FAR too overly ambitious of Google's speed!

Next problem is getting the SEO right, because currently we're not showing for any of the keywords we actually want (and have put in the meta for each product..) the main search we're after is "Geeky T Shirts" which is in the footer (visible) of each page on the site and used in tags for products, and elsewhere etc..

Can't seem to find it even 10 pages deep?

Any ideas?

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Don't they catalogue the product description and manufacturers codes?

8. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

9. Lorquis

You mean google? If so it doesn't really seem so. I haven't set manufacturer codes in yet to be honest (being as I am the manufacturer...) but I don't seem to be making much headway in getting Google to give as much weight to the description as things like the <title> and weirdly, footers!

Just gave that a look at thanks, with this I think some problems may be coming from not having the key words for items in H1 but rather funny bits (see site for example) so maybe I should change that..

despite the abundance of information about SEO it still bloody seems like witchcraft to me... :wallbash:

10. Deders

Deders Modder

Google may have changed the way they do things since 2009, anyone have any more up to date info?

11. Lorquis

Hrmm.. Didn't even see that! Good Spot!

I've got a white paper from Prestashop, (the shop's engine) and it doesn't really have much more to say other than "Put words... in places" which is a bit obvious..

I don't know whether the actual terms I'm using just aren't up to snuff...

12. scimmy

scimmy Minimodder