1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Government proposes internet snooping laws

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Apr 2012.

1. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

2. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

3. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

The Government is standing at the top of a bloody slippery slope and are about to fall all the way down. The government berates countries like China and Iran for their "Police State" style governance but at the same time are turning our one great country into a wreck, a shadow of it's former self.

They appoint experts to carry out research, then ignore all the evidence because it doesn't fit their moronic view of what they think is right. I'm starting to believe that we could do with removing all the current politicians (one bullet each should do, don't want to waste money now, do we?) and install people who actually know what the hell they are talking about.

4. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

6. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Ahh, Lobby cash payment's make's it's way into UK law... Welcome to America/UK/Euro

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Well done tories ! (and unLib Dems) - It was wrong for the Govt to do this when Labour were in power, but it's just as wrong now. Usual "we oppose this bill" rubbish when in opposition, followed by, "We've had a wonderful idea to keep the whole country safe" when in power.

Over 13,000 have signed the openrightsgroup petition so far, it'll take the black helicopter squads a while to round all those up for a start.

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

So now every single person in the country will be under constant suspicion of being 'guilty until proven innocent'. Wonderful. How to p*** all over 797 years of good English law with a glib statement and the flick of a pen.

Irony doesn't even begin to cover the way they seem to think that taking our freedom away and locking it in a vault is the best way to protect that freedom...

It's insidious, pure and simple.

If this does come to pass, I'll look forward to bit-tech's round-up of the best off-shore VPN tunnel services and the like.

9. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

10. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I dare not speak out ... and that's serious for me ....

11. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I think this is appropriate at this point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8de2W3rtZsA

Bunch of farking idiots. Not a clue, and will only impinge on minor or casual criminals. Anyone doing anything worthwhile catching sure as heel isn't going to be stopped by this farce.

12. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

This is so stupid! This needs the sort of publicity that SOPA got, and people need to get out show they don't agree with these sort of laws coming to pass. While people around the world are standing up to ruthless dictators in the hope of obtaining a smudge of freedom, we're sat here happily allowing government officials to steal the very privacy their ancestors worked so hard to set up.

petition Signed

13. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

This is no different to what china are doing with their internet.
    Sure you can get the websites you want to, but now you are sharing everything you do with the government, who is made up of normal people just like you and I.
    They say that it is to project us from terrorists. But the price of the protection is becoming increasingly high. Life would be boring if there were no risks involved. Now we are heading towards a pretty bad place. Where people dont live, they just exist.

14. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

What is life without a bit of risk and danger? I'm a biker and that is for me the last bit of true freedom around and they're trying their hardest to ban that. I couldn't really give a toss if they want to sit and spy on me perusing the net and seeing which sites I visit, what i look at and what I buy, I really couldn't care less. I'd feel really sorry for the person who has to do all that monitoring they'll be bored senseless, its only when they start interfering with what I look at and what I buy is when I'm not happy. Yeah yeah terrorism is a real threat, but hasn't it always been? They'll never stop it in this way thats for sure.

15. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

No, of course not. Read what I wrote, then think about the role of intelligence services.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

18. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

In other news - Facebook is set to launch it's IPO in May and is rumoured to be valued at $100 billion.

Join the dots.

19. magicpixel

magicpixel What's a Dremel?

Nineteen Eighty-Four.

20. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

I have no problem with the law being able to (when needed) gather electronic data on me (if needed)
    Provided they have just cause and do so via the courts of justice.

Hang on.......isn't that what's in place now?
    There is some 6 month law about data, which is an EU directive (if I'm not mistaken)

Sorry folks, this is a fleece that will eventually end up in wrong hands, unlawfully.
    I believe this will open doors to interests that are not of good standing, And certainly not law abiding.
    And for that reason, I'm against it.
    It must be stopped.

PS - Here's a little ditty going out to our younger readers....

And a worthy cover of the above track....

Last edited: 6 Apr 2012
Tags: Add Tags