Graphics Graphics card failure - cause unknown!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Sanguineangel, 30 Oct 2009.

1. Sanguineangel

Sanguineangel What's a Dremel?

Hello all

My Graphics card failed on me two days ago. Yesterday I did some testing to assertain that the card was in fact the problem - The computer started up, HDD light did its dance, moniter never came on. I replaced the card with one from my father's computer and everything was hunkydory. Tried it in the same PCI-E slot too, so that was not the issue.

Anyway, I know that the graphics card was the issue. But I do not know what caused the problem. And I'd like to know what DID cause it before shelling out for another Graphics card only to have it blow up in my face.

Some facts worth knowing:

My computer is a home build:
    CPU: E8500
    MB: Asus Rampage mobo
    MEM: 4 Gigs OCZ Reapers (2 x 2Gb)
    HD: F1 Samsung 1Tb
    GPU: BFG 8800 GTS OC2
    PSU: Hyper 750

The build is bout a year old. Whenever the 8800 GTS was released.

Couple nights ago, my monitor switched off. a fiddle around revealed that one of the HDMI ports on the back of the graphics card had gone. The other was still working though, and I had some work i needed to finish, so I switched the monitor cable round, everything was hunkydory and I finished my work. Turned the computer off for the night and went to bed.

Woke up the following morning to find the monitor unresponsive again. Figured the problem would be graphics card related but had to test it out first. So yeh, now both HDMI ports are gonners.

Now my question to you chaps is, does this sound familiar? Is there any way I can test to find out what the cause might have been? Or should I just venture forth with a new card?

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

What OS and What drivers where/are you using?

There is a known problem with the nvidia 191.07 drivers and hdmi outputs in vista/win7.
    I would advise using drivers 190.62.

3. Sanguineangel

Hi

I'm using Vista 64 Home premium. and the latest drivers. Would this problem extend to not working during boot up though? That strikes me as distinctly hardware.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Oh on boot, interesting.... I do know that on boot only 1 of the monitors would display the bios and loading screen.

You claimed to use your fathers card to test your pc and monitor, are you able to insert that card into your fathers pc to test further.

If your not even seeing the bios then yes sure that would indicate a hardware issue.
    Do you get any unusal bleeps when the pc boots?

It should just beep once to signify all is ok, and usally 1 long with 3 short bleeps for a video system failure.

5. Sanguineangel

That's a good thought. I'll try putting it in dad's computer tomorrow I think.

Beebs-wise, there's no tripple beeping going on, just the single. The computer appears to be loading correctly - just as if the monitor weren't plugged in.

So, if the card is dead, any thoughts on what might have caused it? I have enough power and there is plenty of airflow in my antec 300 - running 2 additional noctua's side and front on top of standard fans. Pretty sure I have set up the airflows correctly. cabling is all pretty much squared away also.

I don't want to stick another expensive card in there and have it go the same way.

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Get it rma'd mate. Bfg have a decent warranty so get it back. Little to no cost, beautiful!

Andy