News GTA 5 pulled from shelves in Australian Kmarts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Dec 2014.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Hey i wasn't the one that framed domestic abuse as being undertaken by "a large numbers of men everywhere", exhibiting the exact same bigotry that you accuse others of.

Unlike you i don't attempt to frame domestic violence as something that only happens to women and children, i merely pointed out that domestic violence unlike you doesn't make distinctions about what sexual organs someone happens to posses.

So are you saying that those 50,000 people make up the entire Kmart/Target customer base ?
    What about the other 23.3 million Australian residents.

While they may not stock those groups of products they do stock the group of products called Computer Games, and just like games they also stock other groups of products with R18+ ratings in them.

Just not all games, yes ?

True, the people who shout the loudest often trample over the silent majority who make judgements only about what they deem as suitable, instead of trying to impose their views on others.

There is no fairness in imposing your world view on other people, most people are mature enough to make their own decisions, they don't need people telling them what is or isn't acceptable (within the agreed legal framework).

Last edited: 5 Dec 2014
  2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Another petition has been made:

[​IMG]

"This petition made some retailers in Australia decide to pull GTA V from their shelves. Target Australia had this to say:

"We've been speaking to many customers over recent days about the game, and there is a significant level of concern about the game's content," said Target General Manager Corporate Affairs Jim Cooper. "We've also had customer feedback in support of us selling the game, and we respect their perspective on the issue. However, we feel the decision to stop selling GTA5 is in line with the majority view of our customers."

In response, there is now a petition to ban The Bible for the same reason GTA V was pulled (sexual violence and killing women) to show how idiotic the first petition was in the first place."

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And another asking to Continue selling Grand Theft Auto 5 in Australia.

"The R18+ rating is there for a reason! Like many games, Grand Theft Auto does allow you to kill, hurt, bash and shoot people of all genders and it has as much a place on store shelves in Australia as any similar game. The game is made for adults and cannot legally be sold to children. Australia is not a nation that condones censorship, nor should it be."

4. megamale

megamale Minimodder

Just saw this, it's absolutely GENIUS! :thumb:

Love it. Just signed.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Ah, but the bible isn't fiction.....:worried:

My own opinion (and it is unsubstantiated) is that women in general in Aus are actually more liberal and seemingly more equal than their EU predecessors.

All Rockstar need to do is replace those generic abused women scenes (presumably there are some, I've not played the game) with women who are illegal immigrants and the complainants will likely stay away in their droves. Frankly, that might work here too..... : corroborating link from a totally unbiased source and therefore reliable sweeping generalisation

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If the commentary in the video above is correct, I am not aware of the ins and outs of Australian law, if there really was any actual, or implied, sexual violence in the game, it would never have given a certificate and could not be sold in Australia at all.

just another example of the popular sport of game bashing and labelling them as the root of all evil. All very Daily Mail like.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Now the petition to ban the Bible has reached 56 thousand odd supporters, almost 10 thousand more than the original petition to get GTA5 banned, does that mean we are going to see Target Australia withdraw the sale of the Bible ? Because if not wouldn't that stink of double standards.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Somewhere I saw a picture of a tweet from Target (I presume it was real) where they responded to the petition by saying that they never actually sold the bible in the first place...