1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Guide: Making a "vandal resistant switch"

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bard, 28 May 2003.

1. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Very nice guide, I used it to make a nice switch for my casemod in the project logs so I want to say thanks for posting this.

2. spac30dyss3y

spac30dyss3y What's a Dremel?

there are a bajillion and a half types of diodes... which type should i use? Zener, switching, rectifying? Help.... Please?

3. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

Zener is a diode meant to be used in reverse breakdown (it's so that power isn't supplied until a certain voltage is reached, then acts as a battery). I thought "rectifying" was a bunch of diodes... I've never heard of a "retifying diode"

Look for 2N3909? damn, I've used tons of diodes and can't remember the part number... something like that

4. spac30dyss3y

I assume what im looking for is just a switching diode? Is that it? and where is that part number for?

5. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

sorry, it's 2N4148 is the diode I have tons of. And the 2N3904 (which is the part number I was thinking of) well, it's an NPN transistor that I've used a lot.

Anyway, looking up 2N4148, I found that I can't find anywhere to actually BUY them (at least, that isn't in Japan or some crap). So where the heck did the school get all these that I stole?

But, just a regular old diode... I guess switching even though I've never heard it called that :eyebrow:

6. spac30dyss3y

well, i was a radio shack and they had all these wierd names for the diodes... So i guess ill get a switching diode, which looks similar to a zener diode and try it out... thanxors to you-en!!!

7. Frorider

Frorider What's a Dremel?

great idea ! :clap:

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I am posting a clearer schematic of the IDE/PWR Dual LED Circuit that I made for another thread:

[​IMG]

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Diodes 101
    Signal diodes - low current handling, but most will handle enough for this job. Most common and cheapest in the world - 1N4148, a silicon diode that will carry 100mA. OK for this job. Any other silicon diode will do. Germanium types eg OA9x may not handle the currrent. Group also includes some switching diodes which are a bit faster (high speed not needed for this job) and Schottky diodes which would do but are a bit more expensive.

Rectifier diodes - will handle higher currents, 1A up. Most common is 1N4001, a 1A 50v silicon diode, a bit bigger than a signal diode, thicker leads but also OK for this job. 1N4002, 1N4004, 1N4004 are exactly the same but will take more voltage. Also Ultrafast versions, still OK but no point, and Power Schottkys (more expensive).

Zener diodes - designed to regulate voltage, will only confuse you, don't buy to use for this job. ;)

So 99% of silicon signal or rectifier diodes will do fine. :thumb:

10. modding-monkey

modding-monkey What's a Dremel?

I’m gonna make some for my switch board for my neon’s!!!
    great Wright up!!!

11. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

now, i may seem stupid, but what makes these switches and buttons "vandal resistant"..???

12. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Vandal resistant switchs mean they can't be removed from the front, and the wires tampered with or cut.
    They were designed for public kiosks, ATM's and such.
    They are also very high quality and last a long time (The Bulgin brand ones)

The term vandal resistant switch stuck to them.
    The real ones are very expensive, but this guide shows how to make a switch that looks vandal resistant.

13. Le Tordu

Le Tordu What's a Dremel?

This guide is reeeally interesting ! :rock:

It gives me good ideas for my project (still thinking about it :idea:)

14. MPovas

MPovas What's a Dremel?

Every time i read one of these posts i get more and more stupid :wallbash:

Now i know that diodes not only act as "one way road".

:duh:

Damn zap where the hell did you learn this stuff? :geek:

15. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one that seems to have these switches scream "q-prox touch sensor" at me. Maybe I am but if not, has anyone done this? Either way, I'm going to use one of these in my current case. Also I can see the entire cover of a stealthed cd drive done with this. Just touch the cd cover and the drive opens. Also the cover could light up with read and write lights.

16. Luhny

Luhny What's a Dremel?

i think i am more confused now than when i started. This mod looks easy enough for a noob like me to try. It looks great too

17. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 19 Apr 2004
  18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Holy Mother of Thread Bump :eeek: Awesome way to make a switch :thumb: Personally though, I think that when I make one, I will put the LED in the screw hole... :)

19. h3x

h3x What's a Dremel?

Here's a simple question for you. How would you rig an LED to light up when the power goes on that is seperate from your power LED that is attached to the mother board? I want that LED to remain where it is, but I want the switch to light up when the computer is on at the same time. What would be the best way to do this? should I just add an LED between the switch wires? please give me some advice. thanks.

20. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

Wire the LED you want to turn on when the PC does, to a spare molex plug.

Use the LED calculator found here to calculate what resistor you need.

Tags: