1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Gymkhana Mod II - Update: 02.04.13 - Final Pictures!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Moddingboy, 21 Aug 2012.

1. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

MOAR!

2. Moddingboy

Moddingboy What's a Dremel?

Day 23: 2013.02.07. / Task: PSU coverplate painting
    After a little break I decided to paint the PSU coverplate using the same method you saw before.
    And I create counterweight (plexiglas and lead-rods) to the bottom of the covering so it will pull together the coverplate and the vertical cover under it. Way more proper fit less wide space between the edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enormous and Pranja like this.
  3. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

+REP for this. Looks epic.

enormous likes this.
  4. Moddingboy

Thank you Pranja! :clap:

5. Moddingboy

Day 24: 2013.02.10. / Task: PSU coverplate painting #2
    Today I finished the work on the paintig of the coverplate. The remaining parts was the side panel of the cover and a little area on its top. Oh and I painted black the plexiglas framing of the PSU Coverplates.

[​IMG]

Day 25: 2013.02.12. / Task: Painting a few other interior parts
    Today I painted the mobo tray, the Drive bay and the 'cover' for the fans.
    Next time I'll paint the exterior of the house but before I need to buy more paint. In these days I ordered rubber washers to securing the screws painting-friendly. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Pranja likes this.
  6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Neat stuff. Keep it coming.

Pranja likes this.
  7. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

This build really is a feast for the eyes! Keep them updates coming :D

8. Moddingboy

Thank you guys! ;)

Day 26: 2013.02.14. / Task: Preparing - Sanding
    In this process I didn't shoot photos because it wasn't spectacular and it was so 'dusty' that I didn't bring the camera with me. Because I prepared the case for the paintjob so I was sanding and sanding. The sanding and sanding. And at last I painted the case black. I know the original color was black but it was neccessary to prepare the surface for the paintjob. :)

Day 27: 2013.02.15. / Task: Painting the exteriors
    And the moment is already here!:clap: I started to do the paintjob on the exteriors Maybe it is the most important piece of work because the whole appearence depends on this work-step. As you can see I used the well worked masking vinyl method like I used on the smaller parts. But this time I used an enormous piece of masking vinyl and it was pain to apply it correctly without any wrinkles. It was about two hours to place the masking correctly because the so many tiny piece of vinyl decided to not stick very well to the blackened surface. So I have to apply them one-by-one.

After this step I used the spraypaint then there was another torture coming. It is called the Peel-Off. This task was a time - again. I used a small slide-lock cutter and peel the masks very aware because I didn't want to damage or scratch the paint under them.

At the end of the day I finished one side and the top of the case. The other side will be the next task.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pranja likes this.
  9. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

Amazing job dude! That paintjob is outstanding!

10. Moddingboy

AverageNinja - Thanks mate! I'm glad You like the paintjob. :) A little update is on the way. ;)

Pranja likes this.
  11. Moddingboy

Day 28: 2013.02.18. / Task: Sidepanel's paintjob
    The methods I used before worked well before so I painted the other side of the case. Unfortunately the painting wasn't as perfect as I wanted to because the masking vinyl has som issue. It doesn't has the adhesion as it have to be so there is some spraying in unwanted places too. :grr: Its not a big problem but I'll fix it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 29: 2013.02.19. / Task: Painting little accessories
    I painted all the little remaining parts as well. The two framings, the screws of them, the double fan covering and the little emblem - the skull. The same skull is on the front of my previous project so because the common theme I thought the new project will have this little emblem too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pranja likes this.
  12. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

Such a very nice build... again!!

But I would've loved seeing Gymkhana II have watercooled CPU and GPU... also... why did you get the blue PCB Radeon? :(

This build would look 100 times more insane with some UV orange tubes running on the inside. :p

Super good build none the less. Kudos!

13. dreps

dreps Minimodder

moaar!

14. Moddingboy

WaRn00b™ - Thank you! It is true that the water cooling with reactive orange tubeing would be awesome but I hope you'll like the final air-version too. ;) The VGA will be modded to - the blue pcb you said.

dreps - Continuing is coming soon ;)

Last edited: 25 Feb 2013
  15. Moddingboy

Day 30: 2013.03.15. / Task: Little fine details
    Unfortunately there was a whole lot more break than I planned but the project is on work again!
    I bought 2 component car-painting-lacquer (varnish?) and I ran to my painter-friend. We talked about every details about the glossy finish so I left the parts over him. I'll be there in a few days to pick up my stuff.
    After that I just have to assemble the parts, plug the hardvers, manage the cables and shoot some photos. So yes the finish is in the last phase :clap:

I did little things on today.
    I peeled off the original stickers from the NZXT fans. The details-sticker is covered with simple black vinyl and the NZXT emblem was changed by the number 43. It's a little modification but the fans need care too. To fit the entire design you know :)

Next step was on the back of the case - the holes for the watercooling tubeing. I would like to cover them but not a permanent way because if I want I could use the holes in the future so I need a temporary solution for the covering. I used magnetic sheets and I applied logos to them. These logos fit to the entire design.

Third thing was to 'pimp up' the Cooler Master CPU cooler. I disassembled the fins and the top one get 'carbonated'. It is the top fin of the cooler so I hope the heat will not be a problem with the black carbon foil (3M DiNOC).

The Last thing in my to do list was the mainboard. The MSI Lighting mobo gets a little modification. Its a cool designed and well priced mobo but its colors didn't fit to my project. The yellow stripes on the cooling fins. At first sight I was thinking about black vinyl to cover them but afraid of the heat-will-peel-them-off so I decided to airbrush them with black paint. Masking done and paintspraying ready. Sadly the poor surface precautons caused the black paint didn't stick well. These fail was in my mind but I just tried it. At last I used special paint-marker. It worked! Its not permanent so when I want yellof stripes I just wipe the black layer off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pranja likes this.
  16. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Looks great.

But I think you should paint that heatsinks in orange-that would fit really nice. ;)

17. Moddingboy

Pranja - Thank you, this is not bad idea. :thumb: Maybe I'll do it but I hope you like the current way :)

18. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Huge fan of Ken block and his cars, big fan of you work now too! I noticed the hpi badge, did they send you the 1/18 gymkhana RC car too?

Subbed and 5 stars!!

19. Moddingboy

woody_294 - Thank you very much! :clap:
    I am in an email conversation with the HPI Racing right now and I am waiting for the answer from the management / bosses. I hope for positive results. :)

20. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Right then, I'm off to do an epic mod based on Vaughn gittin jrs mustang...

Hope you get one they look awesome!