1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling H100i - Should I panic?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 20 Feb 2017.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The H105 and similar 240s as good as, if not better than most air coolers though. 120's don't really differentiate themselves performance wise from good air coolers, but are usually easier to install and look pretty cool as well.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Plus you get easier access to the 8 pin, fan connectors and most importantly your ram.

I've had several of the very large air coolers and whilst they were undeniably fantastic they were a massive pain when it came to changing out ram etc or even dropping in a ram upgrade.

They were also a complete Ahole to clean, having to come out completely every couple of months to get the paint brush/hoover treatment.

With my AIOs I simply leave them installed, remove the rad and dust it out. Far easier.

3. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I'm starting a thread for CLC vs air coolers.

4. Vault-Tec

We did it before. About a year ago IIRC.

It won't change anything. It's kinda like Brexit. You either love one and hate the other.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bear in mind you've already had a ban for being a zealout about this exact issue.

Well no, I am very much grey on both. People should be able to identify and accept the pro's and cons of each in different setups/use cases.

I generally prefer AIO's, but at the moment I'm very happily rocking a tiny air cooler.

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You're used to being satisfied with tiny things though Mr P ;).

On the subject I'll use either, in my old age I'm preferring noise over temps, so if something is slightly hotter but quieter I'll take that option.

ATM I rock a solid h100 that's been going for years, before that a h50. Some of the new cryorig air coolers look fancy though.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's a toolbox - you use whatever works for you - your cooling preference, your noise preference, space requirements, ease of access, maintenance, budget etc..

The problem with Doyll is that he thinks there is only one answer. He's wrong on a fundamental level but his blind hatred has blinkered him.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2017
  8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I went AIO a while back thinking I was going to be saving space in my case but that really isn't the case as the fans plus rad are basically the same size as a big air cooler, I also found the stock fans to be loud but swapped them out with fairly cheap alternatives.

What an AIO did for me and my kids was to clear up the cpu and ram area making it possible to fill all 4 dim slots and make it easier to swap a cpu out if needed.

Its a compromise in my eyes but one I'm happy with.

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That's blasphemy, Dave. I hope you're repenting. :)

10. Vault-Tec

haha I just cooked dinner for my wife. She walked into the room and said "What's that bloody awful noise?"

Had to explain it was my computer.