1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress H2O-C7 June 26 Still more Rain! SUX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 22 Oct 2008.

?

Guess my weight!

Poll closed 25 Dec 2008.
  1. Less than 2Kg

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 2Kg to 3Kg

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. More than 3KG

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

In Progress shots, more to come today and I guess you people need to see where the little case lives to understand where I'm going.
    I'll probably power in up air cooled today and check it out.
    If I keep adding the alum angles for support I might as well just build a case like ArtbyTroy :duh:

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sweet. Can't wait, John.

3. jhanlon303

Blocks mounted and Jawas routed

Mostly just a picture update. Seems to be the in thing lately.

Cheapskate's MB mount from the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Stock heatsinks removed. Serious use of thermal paste.
    [​IMG]
    CPU
    [​IMG]

This is the Supervisor and I command you Jawa scavengers to leave!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sheesh! A guy nods off in the chair and the scavenging begins. I wondered why I keep misplacing parts.

Some shots of the blocks mounted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No room for my normal memory heatspreader here. I can live with this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks very nice mounted up. I still have a bunch of different coloured washers for the hold downs that Cheaps made.

In the case and modeling hose routes today.

Back later

John

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

WOW that really does look nice.Both you and Cheaps have done fantastic work.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*Mother hen mode*: Did you remember to add the thermal paste?:)hehe:) Don't forget to make sure none of the components are grounding out on the blocks. -And re-use the black washers!!! You don't want to have the block tilt away from the chip! *mother hen mode off*

I see you got those two close washers to sit beside each other without notching one. I guess I just made the blue ones too big.
    What's the plexi do-dad in the background? part of the washing machine?

6. jhanlon303

I am not a hoser !

OK, Ladies and gentlemen and all you other people, I need some help with my first ever water loop.
    As you have seen, I have an XSPC pump/res unit, some handmade in a hurricane waterblocks for my C7 and NB, and a 2X40mm radiator.

My first inclination is:
    Pump into CPU, out of CPU into NB, out of NB into radiator, out of radiator into res.

Now to the pics with a caveat - remember that the pump/res combo is getting 90 degree barbs.

In the case pics:
    [​IMG]
    The radiator mounts about here - maybe a bit more centered vertically for showoff props.
    [​IMG]

The res/pump you have seen before centered in the front.
    [​IMG]

Humps up out of the case without the 90 degree fitings
    [​IMG]

This one shows the general idea pretty well
    [​IMG]
    and this one
    [​IMG]

Outside the case you can see the idea better
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Without being hooked to pump or radiator
    [​IMG]
    http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/jhanlon303/PC Modding/Jetway_Case/100_4407.jpg

So the question is .... Is this the way a waterloop should flow or what would be better.

Total noob with a question.

John

PS: As always there are more pics in the photobucket album here:
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/jhanlon303/PC Modding/Jetway_Case/

Last edited: 10 Nov 2008
  7. The boy 4rm oz

The orientation (layout) is good. Looks like a clean loop. Personally I would use right angle (screw in) fittings (not adapters) on the top of the res and to attach the CPU block to the northbridge block (use the two fittings closest to each other). It will make the loop look a lot cleaner. The only problem with using the right angle connectors would be the flow rate but a slight drop in flow rate wouldn't really damage your temps considering the low heat output of the hardware used.

8. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

I was thinking that too :)

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Those kinks, youre gonna fix them right?

10. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

he might not have the space to run the loop from one block to another using the barbs closest to each other. but i see no reason why the two farthest away from each other would be bad anyway. Unless cheaps made the 2 blocks into one instead, there is no way to avoid kinking the hoses.
    And there will be 90° elbow on the pump/res.

11. The boy 4rm oz

You may be right about the right about the lack of room but I think they should just fit. He could easily use the out side taps, I just thought it would look neater with the two closest together joining. Would save tube to lol.

12. jhanlon303

Just a quick reply. I'll try to find something to show the spacing between the 2 center barbs - not much room. Also the tubing is $2 worth of junk from the board store Lowes just for this effort. Cut and pics and throw away. I had thought of 90 barbs on the blocks too - but again no room. The 2 center ones would bang into the ram if pointed back and the outside ones would bang into the HDD and the case edge.

It is a REALLY small case. I picked it for that very reason - a personal challenge to fit everything and a means to show off Cheapskates's water blocks. :rock::rock:

More pics later today. I'm taking the family to the Reptile Expo they hold every 3 months at the Denver Merchandise Mart. We are at 17 reptiles so far. Their room isn't full yet.

John

13. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

How about 90's on the outer ones and a tube that goes over board, past the atx-plug? (away from the ram)

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The layout looks good. You're not cranking out enough heat to worry about which chip gets water first.
    I'd say you need some Tees for both of the lines on the radiator. An auto parts store might even have some with 3/8" and (whatever the rad ID is,) on either end.

15. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

looking ace, those blocks are great, nice work Cheapskate :D OMe decnt tubing shouldnt kink much anyway so you should be ok. hapinig up nicely, Kudos!

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

looking at those pics, i think you should NOT get angled barbs for the res. Let the tube leave the case and arc back into it. I think it would be a totally awesome feature for this case, and it would really establish the identity of this little monster as a watercooled machine.

The loop seems to be perfectly OK the way you routed it. Max pressure and min temp on the CPU cooling, after that the NB that's usually a bit hotter then the CPU, then dump the heat and then store the water. :thumb:

I like this one John, dont think for a minute that no posting is no watching from me ;)

17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I hate to disagree with xtrafresh but on these boards the NB/SB usually run hotter than the cpu but tbh none run hot enough to worry about under water.

This is just mad, mad i tell you. I love sff mods.

18. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

xtrafresh said "after that the NB that's usually a bit hotter then the CPU" so you agree with him

19. jhanlon303

All four of my grandparents came from County Cork - I drink Guinness NOT tea. What kind of tea? Earl Grey? And what would I need the tea to the radiator for exactly.

Back from the reptile show. Ryan got a proven breeding pair of Yellow Rat Snakes, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to buy yellow rats! :wallbash:

I will show you guys some small problems with the case itself that I'm working tonight. No biggies, just me being fussy.

John

Last edited: 8 Nov 2008
  20. jhanlon303

Fixin to become a rant

You know I'm a patient person but working on tonight's pics of the case and the external PSU I want to show you guys, I'm REALLY getting frustrated with PSU wiring. Nice bundles for what goes where EXCEPT the peeps making PSU throw in a couple wires that don't go with what you want to sleeve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I suppose it's my fault for using cheap factory PSUs but I've been an Electronics Engineer for over 30 yrs. and this just chaps my hide.

John