Apple Hard Drive Testing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by theoriginaltomato, 6 Nov 2014.

1. theoriginaltomato

theoriginaltomato What's a Dremel?

I recently purchased a pair of SSDs for the Mac Mini's in our office - a Samsung 840 and a Crucial MX100. I've read lots of reviews that put them as the best low-cost SSDs for medium intensity workstations.

I'm now wondering, having purchased both to test against eachother, whether there are any testing suites for OSX that I could use to investigate the actual performance? Up to this point, I've tested with real-world stuff - boot time, software load times, etc.

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

My advice? Don't bother, they will be fast enough, just enjoy the performance.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Do you want to find the best performing one because you are thinking of buying more? Or because you want the fastest to be in a certain system?

If it's the latter, they are similarly spec-ed and you haven't noticed any real world difference then I'd be inclinded to agree with the previous poster: Don't bother. Performance will be very similar.

If anything I'd be more inclined to check which has the best warranty than the best performance and put it in the most important, most used system.

4. theoriginaltomato

theoriginaltomato What's a Dremel?

Purchasing more - we have several Minis and I'm in the process of upgrading all of them to SSD. The warrantees are similar from both companies, so in the short term the metric is performance and over the longer term it'll be the longevity of the device.

Off topic - much disappointed by the 2014 Mini. Soldering the RAM to the motherboard was an unnecessary f-you.