Graphics Help Me Find A New VGA Heatsink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atanum141, 28 Mar 2008.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Lo chaps!

Ive recently brought a PowerColor HD 3850 Pro PCS 512MB, its a excelent card and actually comes with Dual DVI and ram sinks. But ive got a small issue with the card. Its far too loud. My old 7800GTX had speed sensing fan but this one runs at 100% all the time and is now the loudest this in my machine which is built for silence not for performance.

Iam looking for a new heatsink to replace it, ideally something passive or something with a low rpm fan would do the trick but i havent found something ive liked and most of the usual brands havent updated their websites for the new HD38xx cards. Ideally a link to said product would be awesome. It doesn't have to be single slot, a dual cooler would be fine just the main priority is silence.

Anyone with any info or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

2. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

How about one of these... clicky

I have one & my 8800GTS doesnt go over 55C on load!!

I have strapped a 120mm fan to it & its running silent.

3. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

tried modifying the fan ramp with atitool?

4. atanum141

I hasnt got speed sensing. Usually to control fan speeds a fan needs 3 wires. Plus and minus for the voltage and the third for fan control. The ZeroTherm fan used on this model only has the power wires, thats why im looking for a new HSF or a mod to slow down the fan.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

Haha those cards and their coolers.

get this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=627848
    and this http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=627856

Thats what I am getting.

http://hardwarelogic.com/news/137/ARTICLE/2876/3/2008-03-05.html - Same sort of temps as the zerotherm, but near silent with the fans, and totally silent without.

The thermalright is better by a few degrees, and like £12 more + fan price and I dont think the fan would be as quiet. I say AC is way to go.

You said in my thread about that cooler, when it was working I got around 30-35c idle, and 40-50c under load. Large differences in figures I know, but my room is crazy. Now you can double the idle and add 10c, atleast. I dont dare to load it.

EDIT:
    If you just want to slow down the fan, unclip the metal connectors using something small and pointy from the plastic connector.
    Then slide the bare metal pins/connectors onto the pins of a 3 pin fan extenter or 3pin fan to 4pin molex.
    Hook up to a fan speed controller, or 5/7 volt mod (if its the 3 to 4pin).

tadaaaaaaaaa, lovely and quiet (well quieter).

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  6. Matticus

Matticus ...

I just read my edit back and I am not sure it makes enough sense to follow.

Basically all I am saying is remove the metal connectors from the 2pin female fan connector, by pressing something small and pointy into the part where you can see the bare metal, if done right this will unclip the connector and it should slide out.

Then once they are out, you have both wires with the connections on the end, and then each of these connectors will slide nicely over the pins of a male 3pin fan connector.

Then I said you can either hook this up to a fan speed controller.

Or if you do the same thing but with a 3pin to 4pin adapter, then you can 5 or 7volt mod this.

***Sorry if you already know this, but I thought theres no harm posting it anyway***
    5volt mod means changing around the 12volt and 5 volt cables in the molex connector, the yellow (and the one with the live cable to the fan coming out of it) is the 12volt and the red is the 5volt. So the ground cable will stay in the same place, but the live for the card goes to 5volts instead of 12volts. I have not tried 5 volts for this fan so I dont know if it will work, but it should do, most fans works at 5volts, but some will not start at 5volts.

7volt mod is basically the same as 5volt except you switch the ground (black) and the 5volt (red). So the fan thinks 12volts - 5volts = 7volts.

Also for both of these because you are only switching the cables around they can still be used to power a normal molex powered device as each cable still carries the same voltage, its only the way the fan connects to it that has changed.

Or failing both of those you could add a nice rheostat and just wire it into the 12volt line, though I would think doing some of the above and then 3pin to 4pin adapter would be best when doing this as I am not sure how the card would react to voltage changes.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  7. atanum141

No,No you post made perfect sense.

I did actually have the idea before but iwas worried thathe gfx card wouldnt boot up without the fan connected(some cards dont like it). Anyways i unpluged away and i had a spare 5volt 3pin resistor cable avail and fitted it straight away and now its been silent since friday evening. I havent tested gamplay temps but idle temps ar round the 45-47 mark, so its not much of a hug hit. tho i will look at those temps during gameplay and see where i get, tho i have a spare 7volt resistor cable avail i may swap it out with.

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Haha well those resistor cables are a lot less complicated than what I said, to be honest they didnt even cross my mind.

9. atanum141

Yeah, they are super handy to have some around, i was using them to quiten my already silent fans down but in the end i only bothered to use one case fan.

Atlest my case noise is down to the ~20db mark now.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

Just thought I would let you know that I got that arctic cooling accelero + turbo module from scan, it came yesterday morning.

Even with the fans on full I cant hear it at all.

As for temps, 33-35 idle and 43-45 load for 30 minutes. Basically same as or better than the zerotherm but a darn site quieter.

Also these temps are in my girlfriends suana of a room, and its the first day on the mx2, so I hope to see some slight drops at it beds in, and when I get back to my nice cool room.