1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Help me silence a Dell Optiplex GX280 SFF!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stu_69, 2 Feb 2005.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

So don't use the flow meter. Problem solved. Or at least get one that's not that cheezy thinger... perhaps something like this...

Maybe you can stuff some of that acoustic foam between the plastic part and whatever's underneath it (I've worked with those a bit at school, I think there's at least some framework where you could attach it IIRC)

Last edited: 4 Feb 2005
  2. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Software decode = high cpu usage as its done by the processor not dedicated hardware. Thats likely to ramp up heat and in turn the fans to cool it...

3. Vochraye

Vochraye What's a Dremel?

I know I'm being obtuse here, but you COULD just rip it out of that case and slap it in a Zalman TNN 500 .

I'm sure he won't mind dropping the $1200 for it. :D

4. Mortus

Mortus What's a Dremel?

I have to agree that the factory cooler is going to be pretty crappy, invest in a good low profile copper one :)

5. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

That would only apply for watching DVDs, in which case the movie would likely drown out the fans. And in any case, the drive itself would make a lot of noise.

The easiest way is to use extension cables and put the PC farther away.
    That's one of the few times when you should *not* upgrade. The last thing you want is another fan in the case.

6. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

Replacing fans are your top priority for Silencing this. The WD hard disk isn't so noisy that it is worth bothering about. GPU, CPU and PSU fans are the main culprits. CPU and GPU are probably giong to be easies to change (especially if you don't haev a GPU one).

Try to get the largest cooler that you can fit in that case, becaseu most server style 1 and 2 u coolers will still be noisy. by maximising teh heatsink size and fan size you can lower teh fan speed.

Another thing that would be cheap and easy to try is just stick a resistor on teh cpu fan and see if it runs fine like that.

7. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

That CPU fan must be hella loud. If it's replaced with a zalman 7000 series cooler or similar should quiet it. An exhause fan will probably be needed but if they're both undervolted they shouldn't be noticable. If you've got a prescott core then it's going to run hotter and louder :(

Cutting the rear PSU fan should reduce turbulance and it could be replaced with wire grating so you don't accidentally get 10000 volts through your finger! You could replace the PSU fan with a thicker, more efficient fan such as a panaflo and also washer the HDD so doesn't transmit so much vibration to the case. WD hard disks aren't as loud as maxtors but they do have pretty loud seek noise, try using a hard disk utility tool changing AAM to 128. Thys slows the seek, reducing performance slightly but makes a nice change to noise.

You can use something like nero drivespeed to reduce the DVD drives speed to something like 5x and it'll still work fine and be LOADS quieter.

8. stu_69

stu_69 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the advice gentlemen. I have not got too much further with this case. I have fiited some silcone washers to the psu mounts and hd. I am still trying to find a decent CPU cooler and an extractor fan. An 80mm is a really tight squeeze in there.

On the silencing goes!!

Tags: