1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help with details of a gift laptop...

Discussion in 'General' started by Abom, 19 Nov 2010.

1. Abom

Abom What's a Dremel?

I'm giving a gift of a laptop to my girlfriend for christmas. A 15" sony viao purple thing lol. Either way how many people here take time to tweak computers that are gifts? For my grandmother it was installing certain programs and deleting crapware etc.

Id love some ideas to make it special, programs, tweaks, mods etc. She uses it very typically, im, facebook, homework etc.

Anyone?

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Do you know what programs she will use? If so yeah go for it, or why not just make her a desktop wallpaper.

A pic of your ugly mug + some love hearts + some nice words = xmas love making :D

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think you should install any program that she enjoys using, Adobe PDF (or wtv she or you like to use), Flash plug-in, Java plug-in, make sure Windows is full updated, disk burning software for modes that Windows built-in burning utility doesn't offer (eg: imgBurn), Windows Live Essential 2011 without Bing Bar, Microsoft Security Essential 64-bit, and well your preferred web browser, well you get the point.. the essentials.

And a nice background, like a picture of you or something that you think she will enjoy.

I think it's the best thing you can do.. well as basic.

I don't think change the actual look of Windows 7 will be a good idea.

Instead of MSN messager, you can perhaps give you Trillian 5 (free):
    http://www.trillian.im/learn/tour-trillian5.html
    No ads, no pop-up, free, elegant, optimized for Windows 7.
    [​IMG]

This little program is nicely customizable, you have ICQ, MSN, AOL, AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, Twitter, Facebook, and more all integrated. Of course you don't need an account for everything. IN my case I have Google Talk, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ only. The rest is disabled as I don't use them. I get to talk to all my friends with 1 program.

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I do. Heck, I didn't even get my missus her laptop outright (though contributed a chunk for her Chrimbo pressie), and still took the time to get rid of McAfee etc, install Avast, Spybot, Chrome, Steam, Spotify, run all Windows updates, and install a couple of her games I had on Steam Backup.