1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hercules Fortissimo II driver issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Evilbob, 10 May 2005.

1. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

Im having trouble with this soundcard, the drivers are listed as 'installed and working' on a Windows XP SP2 installation but the device is not actually working and trying to play music / sounds of any kind results in an error 'Missing DirectSound device' .. further investigation in the sound video and game devices section of control panel shows that the 'driver is installed but not started' has anyone ever had a problem similar to this? or knows where I can get some XP drivers that actually work for this card. These are the latest release drivers listed on the hercules website v6.09 and I have tried the v6.07 and original cd drivers.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

This card should work, but you'll get no rear speakers, just the front two, with WindowsXP.

3. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Should work fine. Never tried the back speakers to say though. Don't download the "Unsupported Crystal Soundfusion" drivers (or whatever they are called) from the Windows Update site, really screwed up my drivers. Could that be the problem?

4. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

I just tried it again, swapped the pci slot it was in made sure i had the latest drivers again... when i got to the last part of the driver install windows froze and everytime i have tried to install them since it has frozen again... only way i can get the drivers to install now is in safemode .. and i unplugged the PC from the internet because the driver setup won't work unless you do so no problems from windows update

5. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Have you tried with or without the DLS soundbank? I've got no idea what it is, but my sister's PC is installed without it with no problems.

6. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

the last attempt I used without the DLS soundbank first then with... I think my motherboard just has something against this card!?