1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Home Brewing!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ljs, 27 Jul 2012.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Holy thread bump batman...... Its nearly the end of the year and that means the farm is slowing production on stuff but it also means the brewing starts again, we have made another 145L of cider again this year (post on the pervious page from last year for that process)

But Wait there's more!!!!!

[​IMG]

This year I was able to liberate 20 jars of honey which just so happened to be enough for a 5gallon batch of mead.

I last made mead last year and it was consumed in march this year and it was amazing !!!!! So I was very keen to make it again but more of it so less people can complain they didn't get any.

The recipe was the same as last time

Honey (4 jars per gallon)
    Water
    Laving 71-B yeast
    Yeast nutrient
    Time

One thing I did differently this time due to the honey and the size of the vessel was a took all the kids off he jars and popped them in a warm oven to get the honey much runnier to make the pouring and mixing easier.

[​IMG]

Here is all is once mixed, it's currently sat in the corner of my living room where the temp is fairly stable, it's been going for a week now so I will be tracking this into its 2nd and final fermentation vessel in another 3 weeks (will see when the gravity stabilises) and from there I will probably leave it to clear and bottle whenever I'm happy with the clarity, I would love it for march but I doubt that so will just have to see, if this works I will make another few small batches of flavoured mead in 1gallon Demi's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its about time I make 40 pints of mead! although I have some berry cider I should get brewing tbh

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I need to make some kind of attachment for my drill to mix the mead as hand mixing it with a spoon was not a very fun experience at all

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

let me guess - boil honey + + some water , top up to 23 litres , let it cool then add yeast as normal?

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Well i just heated it in the over in the jars without the lids to make it easier amnd had some warm water, but 6.8kg of honey still needs lots of mixing so i did that for about 10 mins which was just more effort than I expected to need so drill attachment needed next time.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Primary fermentation is now complete, Racked it into Secondary last night, and it's smelling lovely and is looking the part so far. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to fully clear so I can get it into bottles

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk