1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases How big should a mini-ITX chassis be?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 12 Jan 2014.

?

How big should a mini-ITX case be?

1. <10 litres (super-tiny, picoPSU, low profile)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 10-20 litres (CM Elite 110 is 15L, FT02 mini is 17.6L)

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  3. 20-25 litres (CM Elite 130 is 19.6L, InWin 901 is 24.2L)

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. 25-30 litres (BF Prodigy is 26.35L, Fractal Node 25.5L)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. >30 litres (Basically will fit ATX kit + many hardware)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It depends on the definition of the "short". The original stock 670 PCB was short, but all coolers were longer than the PCB. So if you used water cooling, then it got short. But if you mean out of the box, for air cooling, then Bindi provided the answer already.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

So, very revealing that 93% of us think that the BitFenix Prodigy is too big for an ITX case, and by far the largest majority think that the perfect size is between 10 and 20 litres.

Clearly, this is the direction case manufacturers should be headed.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep. I also think that there are too much space taken by drive cages.
    Is there really a lot of peeps who put 4-6 full size drives in their ITX PCs?
    Or full size ODD? I think nowadays we all use SSDs and MAYBE one full size drive. I actually have been using 2.5" HDDs for last 4 years - simple configuration is one SSD for OS and one green 1TB HDD for storage, or sometimes second larger SSD for games. If I needed a NAS case I would go with case with huge drive cage etc...

What I always see is that what I would get rid of drive cage straight away and put radiator in it.
    Other thing is I have obsession with small footprint cases - why every single (except FT03) case go with standard graphic card position - horizontal, not vertical? Put mobo vertically with I/O up and you save lots of space on your desk. But that's maybe just me...

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well, I voted for that category purely because I think my current case fits in that group, but I don't think the prodigy is too big whatsoever. Sadly the poll has no 'I don't mind' option nor can you vote multiple times.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

But why did you buy your current case? Because you got to LANs and don't have a car - you want something that can fit in your bag (I read your project log the other day :D) - therefore the Parvum case and its diminutive dimensions fit your needs.

Voting multiple times and having an I don't mind option forces people to make a decision as to which they prefer - which is the ultimate aim of this thread.

Exactly! Even in my full ATX case I went 2.5” only a few years ago. They are small, light and virtually silent, like and SSD but you don’t have to pay hundreds of pounds for a decent capacity (7200rpm 1TB 2.5” drive is £50 new). ODD wise – haven’t had one for years.

Vertical cases are definitely a great idea, I’d like to see more done here!

Last edited: 14 Jan 2014
  6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well I actually bought it almost purely to support Parvum, since I'd already bought a laptop for LAN purposes... :p

But I get your point, something like the ncase would be nice to see mass produced, cutting it down to the basics of fitting powerful hardware into a small space.

7. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Ah, yeah... the 25L number is the Node 605 - a completely different case from the Node 304. The 605 is more an HTPC case.

Silverstone owns the patent on the layout in Taiwan, so that's at least part of the reason why you don't see anyone else doing it.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2014
  8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

My main PC only has SSDs, but my server has 10TB of redundant + RAID1'd HDDs for storage over four 3.5" drives. They don't make 3TB 2.5" drives yet - let alone ones that are equivalent to WD-Reds.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I seriously need to rehome my wife's mini-ITX gaming box. She's got a jacked-up Prodigy (first time we moved it the legs broke off) and every time I plug in something something else comes unplugged. I fscking hate working in it, and my wife is in a complete hate relationship with the case.

I want a Hadron for it, but that price tag... I had a CM110 when I had a LAN rig, and I loved it, but this thing is like twice its size and yet less useful. What a waste of space. If I still cared for scratchbuilding this would be a real opportunity, but I just want to button it up and leave it alone.

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

SG05. You don't need an ITX any bigger.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sell it off and buy a VivoPC or AiO.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

as far as i can tell, only lian li has been designing ITX cases with two full-height expansion slots which are too short for any other gaming video card aside from the asus mini 670 and 760

the Q11 fits the card with some room to spare:

(from the ROG blog)
    [​IMG]

the Q33 is slightly tighter, but is easier to assemble due to the hinge design:

(from lian-li)
    [​IMG]

it just barely fits in the TU100, but has no airflow at all:

(from lian-li)
    [​IMG]

maybe asus can figure something out designed around their own miniature video cards? every other ITX case can fit a full length video card, and is therefore a bit large

edit:
    the TU100 is ~12L and as seen above can fit a pretty proper gaming rig

shoot for 10L and still fit a couple of SSDs and a slim optical drive, and i'm sold :lol:

Last edited: 15 Jan 2014
  13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

14. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I think the beta Steam machine design is the best size for mini-itx cases. It needs to user in a new era of mini-itx case design. It can cope with a GTX 780 in the smallest space as possible. The only issue I have with it is the need to buy a SFX PSU but having space for a full ATX PSU would impact on the size of the machine

15. docodine

@faugusztin
    good call

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. docodine

jonsbo is lian li oem?

so does that mean that rosewill sells lian li cases in the US?

i guess it's not the first time lol, who remembers the rocketfish lian li case

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The Cooltek U2 is basically exactly what I've suggested in other threads, and imho it's the second best layout for a mITX-case retaining the option for a fullsize ATX-PSU.

You can shrink it's width by some 40mm using a top-blower like the Thermalright AXP-200 and only a 92mm fan in the back, reducing it from 16 liters to 13 liters.

There's only one layout I think is even better and that's some 12 liters.

Tags: