1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How CRT and LCD monitors work

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 20 Mar 2006.

1. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

I just want smaller dot pitches which will allow for higher resolutions and sharper images, sadly there doesn't seem to be a shift towards this, just making larger pannels. :-(

well not any time soon any way.

2. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

This little snippet from page 3 seemed unintelligible to me:
    I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject by any means, but I usually see this being explained more along the lines of:

The two polarising filters are placed at right angles to each other. The light passes from the backlight, through the first polarising layer, then the LCD layer, and finally through the second polarising layer. The light is polarised by the first filter, so that only light travelling as a (let's say) vertically "aligned" wave can pass through. When there is no current flowing through the LCD layer, this light passes through it pretty much freely, and is then stopped by the second polarising filter, which only allows horizontally "aligned" lightwaves to pass. However, when a current is applied to the LCD layer, the suspended crystals form a spiral-like structure which "twists" the light, allowing it to pass through both filters. The more current applied, the more light is "twisted", hence making for brighter pixels.

Nezuji :)

3. KypD

KypD What's a Dremel?

i have a problem with an old 17" crt I like to use...it's an old Dell model, and from time to time the sides will suddenly pin cushion inward in an extreme way...but if i smach the monitor it goes back. i figures the gun was just not aligning properly...but is there some permanent way to fix this? i can never take this monitor to LANs because i would have to smack it constantly until it's been on for about a half hour.

4. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a dry solder joint somewhere in the coil control circuitry. If it is, it's a simple fix... AFTER you've tracked the little bugger down. Basically, I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop, if you can live with the cost. It shouldn't be TOO high, since you most likely don't need any new parts, but most of these guys still charge quite a bit by the hour.

Nezuji :)

5. BobbyH66

BobbyH66 What's a Dremel?

Nice article, but I am wondering when it was written. From what I have seen, the trend in computer interface is going to a combination of voice control and a 3D type of projection, kind of like what was seen in the movie Enemy of the State, with Tom Cruise. However as for current technology when it comes to high end LCD or TFT of any monitor for that matter, having a high refresh rate, basically 72hz or higher is easier on the eyes and creates a better picture quality. At least from what my electronics instructors have taught me, the most important things to look for in a quality monitor is the dot pitch, refresh rates, and what kind of manual settings it has. Also I believe that the GPU has a lot to do with maximizing the performance of your monitor. From what I have seen from various reporting, weather it be in print or on some visual media, when it comes to things like editing film or any other type of graphics, the CRT is still the best monitor for reproducing images. Even though high end flat screen monitors are used in the various media industries, the use of high end CRTs are still very much in use. I have also noticed that directors still rely on the CRT monitors that have been in use since they first became available as a means to see what was being shot on 35mm film. Or even with the new HD Cinematic cameras which are becoming more prevalent. And now with 3D cameras and the growing popularity of 3D films, I wonder what kind of monitors directors will be using on and off the set?

6. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Dam blast from the past 4 years old

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Enemy of the State was Will Smith, think you mean Minority Report - and

the article was written in 2006

Tags: Add Tags