1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to Build a DVD Server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 30 Dec 2009.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Thx for the quick info...seems I'll have to get into compressing again with Blurays *sigh*

2. Mark20040

Mark20040 What's a Dremel?

http://tinyurl.com/yfz33ku
    To set CloneDrive auto

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

4. HourBeforeDawn

okay I have it configured as shown in the pic, I can get the cyberlink to launch, I have two an older one for HD-DVD and the newer one for Blu-Ray and each launch correctly for the format needed but I dont think the image is mounting and loading into the player, is there something Im missing?

5. Mark20040

I take you are are configuring External Player? I use PowerDVD 9 which integrates with Media Center and does not launch external player but stays within MC. In other words do not configure external player.

Unfortunatley PowerDVD 9 does not play HD-DVD. You could substitute PowerDVD for TotalMedia Theatre 3 as this integrates into Media Center and plays HD-DVD as well as Blu Ray and also upscales DVDs if you have SimHD plugin too. You can also configure this for external player too and it works fine. There is a free trial at Arcsoft.com

6. Mark20040

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QeChGdJx8LZDuswAFChISA?feat=directlink
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nfqr2SUtZcaPWv1OysftiA?feat=directlink
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DPxSjgx9veU3tAKPoSVUsA?feat=directlink
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_Tb6xgkTnZRSbL7cnppwSw?feat=directlink

7. HourBeforeDawn

oh okay so I dont have to configure this for outside, okay cool and I will look into TotalMedia Theatre 3, is that like a one time fee with as many updates as you want.?

8. xDeaDReckoninGx

xDeaDReckoninGx ****ing delete my account,

9. HourBeforeDawn

Well I have to say, I would highly recommend to people that have Windows Media Center Vista or Win7 to use Media Blaster and Media Center Master, oh and for cooler looking Images use StarkCovers. Best free option I have seen out there that looks as good as that expensive program that guy paid for, have to give my thanks to the two people that posted here that brought this to my attention, many thanks. :thumb:

My netbook is like 95% done, have some backdrops that jacked up and need to be fixed, my main media server on other hand thats going to take a while lol and Im still working out the blu-ray and HD-DVD playback but other then that, I would excellent all around. :)

[​IMG]

Im going to add about 20 more movies to my netbook oh if your wondering I upgraded my eeepc 1000he to 2gb of ram and a 500gb hdd, I also plan to set it up to pull movies from my home theater pc/server once thats finished. ^_^

Last edited: 7 Jan 2010
  10. Mark20040

Yes. Try Cyberlink first as I described. Only problem is HD-DVD

11. Wossack

Wossack What's a Dremel?

to store, Im using windows home server
    to play, vista media center + mediabrowser (dell studio hybrid + logitech dinovo mini)
    to rip, anydvd + dvdshrink
    to catalog, tvrename+ metabrowser (mb populates the meta data, covers etc for mediabrowser)

some niggles with vista media center crashing during playback on some downloaded content (poorly encoded I presume), but windows media player plays them fine -.- must rustle up an xbmc box..

have tried my hand at reencodes, but my handbrake results were always very poor unfortunately

12. HourBeforeDawn

Alright I have another question, where can I find the backdrops? like some of them are stored in the actual movies folder so thats cool I can delete the ones that seem to not have downloaded all the way and renumber them, but then there are some that are not with the movies so where are those stored?

13. Mark20040

Use Media Center Master, it searches from imdb.com for info and backdrops

14. Mark20040

Sorry I get your question now. C:\Program Data\Media Browser\Image Cache. You will need to show hidden files in folder options

15. HourBeforeDawn

strange I dont have that folder at all >< Im on Windows 7 Pro 64bit if that makes a difference running the latest Media Browser and Media Center Master.

16. Initialised

Initialised What's a Dremel?

No, it's here on 7 ultimate 64: C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\ImageCache you have to do "Organise, Folder and Search Options, View, Show Hidden files, folders and drives" before you can see C:\programdata.

The part of the build I really like is the unRAID drive management server, can this be done in a VM on Windows 7 to eliminate the need for separate physical file and streaming servers

17. HourBeforeDawn

OOH Program DATA lol I was looking in Program File Doh my bad >< completely overlooked the data part ~_~

18. HourBeforeDawn

Cool works great now :) no more partially downloaded backdrops, also on my netbook I setup a ram drive and put my media browser on the ram drive to make it MUCH faster in loading those DVD covers and backdrops, works like a charm :)

19. akibro

akibro hmmm....

Hmmm, this has given me a lot to think about

20. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

i know this might sound ignorant, but why build a "dvd server", rather than just say a simple cheap computer with alot of HDD space?

Tags: Add Tags