1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC How to make this kind of HTPC work?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mystvearn, 12 Mar 2015.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Hi,

I am not sure if this Kodi can be used, but hope people here can help.

My main laptop is an Asus U46SV with the below specs:
    Windows 7 Pro
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM,
    16 GB RAM
    512 GB SSD

Since the laptop is only being used when I'm outstation, I rarely use it at home/office. I was wondering if Kodi is the solution to my problem. I still use the laptop, so I can't just wipe the content and make it a dedicated HTPC box.

Here is a picture of what I want to do: [​IMG]

Basically I have a router which all pc's connect to. All the connections are wireless connection. I want to use the laptop as a media consumption device. The laptop has to be able to access folders from the gaming PC (or any PC) and play on the TV. It also has to be able to function standalone, say I want to open a youtube or some direct flash videos. I will connect the xbox controllers to the laptop and stream steam games from there. I think steam streaming works in this case? For the wireless controller to control the laptop, I was thinking of unified remote? I don't need or want to buy a keyboard. The laptop does support BT.

What do I need to make this kind of setup work? Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2015
  2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Kodi would definitely work you just need to setup the library on the gaming PC. as long as the machines on you should be able to watch on the laptop (connect HDMI to TV) through Kodi.

personally i wouldn't want to stream wireless as its never great especially for game streaming. All the bandwidth is shared so passing it from gaming PC to the ruoter then back to the Laptop will result in plenty of lag for gaming and dpending on the bit/rate of the video lots of stuttering/buffering

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Streaming with Wi-Fi is a big no in my experience. Anything last MP3 rates such as movies are slow and very laggy.

4. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I have tried stream wireless streaming with hardware decoding on both ends. Latency is there, but unless playing FPS, it is acceptable. Also tweak the default settings to give best of both but increase throughput. Also enable QoS. Tried with NFS MW with both PC and laptop about 20 feet away. In the final TV-laptop setup, the laptop is just 5 feet away from the router in the same room. Using the default settings in steam is useless. Graphics is slightly lower, though I'm not sure since my PC is 1440p and the laptop I tested without connecting to the TV is 1366x768. I do see the scaling down so steam menus appear smaller.

On the wireless controller for Kodi, I see there is an an app online for it. Have not configured it yet. Still need to learn how to use Kodi properly. I'm not sure if I should use Kodi or just stick with Windows Media Centre. Unified remote works, however the mouse is too small. Not that useful sitting away from the tv. I just need the the laptop to show me 3 functions.
    1. Start steam - big picture mode stream games
    2. View Youtube/web browser
    3. Open media from another source.