1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress HP Blackbird 002

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBean, 28 Sep 2008.

1. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Ah, no need really - have enough slots available anyway :)

If I need the slot immediately below the gfx card, I will reconsider.....

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Isn't the MCW60 a dual-slot solution anyway? Looks pretty tall from pictures.

:thumb: on the progress!

3. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Guys,
    I mentioned previously, that while I'm prepping the BB case, that the system is up and running in my spare box, a Lian-Li A20.

Just a few pictures of the case, with a massive Feser 480 quad Rad fitted to the bottom. Right next to the rad is a PC Power & Cooling 1Kw Turbocool PSU.

I recently cut a nice intake hole in the side window, the other panel is the same, venting out.

[​IMG]

Below you can see where I modded the original HP SAS cage into the A20 frontpanel, and it's now sporting 4x SAS drives, running Raid 10 - pretty quick, if you ask me :)

[​IMG]

Below you can see the 2x Fuzion V2 waterblocks fitted to the SuperMicro X7DWA-N motherboard, with Tygon tubing connecting everything - I might see if I'm willing to spent the (big) bucks on Bitspower fittings, to make this more decent/professional.

[​IMG]

Here you can (barely) see the HD4870X2, with waterblocks fitted - look closely though, and you'll make it out....

[​IMG]

and below that, the humongous/massive HP P800 16-port Raid Controller, with dual batteries, and 512M cache.......this card is so long, it's the same length as the E-ATX motherboard, and totally dwarfes the HD4870X2 gfx card....

[​IMG]

And here an overall shot of the motherboard/associated components.

Once I move the components over to the BB case, will I post close-up shots of each card.

[​IMG]

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Those Swiftech MCW-60's are fantastic blocks, I'd reccomend them to anyone. I use one on my 8800GTX.

That case is looking a little bit cramped lol but atleat you ar egetting use out of your awesome hardware ;).

5. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Lovely hardware :) Can't wait to see this in the blackbird chassis!
    What temps are you getting in your current setup on those Xeon's and the graphics card? Oh and which Xeon's are they?

6. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

I just have to ask something, how noisy are those sas drives ?

7. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Heya Guys,
    The drives are very quiet, you don't hear them, just a soft ticking on initialization, when first booting, while the SAS controller is detecting them.

CPUs are Xeon 5430's (1333fsb), currently running 3.00gig, see a few posts back for temps.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2009
  8. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

I still have a contract, but I'm fairly sure that I will not be renewed when it runs out due to the whole financial situation. It still looks like I will do some work for Metso even if my contract is not renewed one way or another. :)

9. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

Thank you - I should really learn how to :read: I guess as I checked the thread before asking, yet most of it was there all along!
    But I still can't find the temps on the xeon's though...

10. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Ah, seems I've lost my mind - must have posted cpu temps elsewhere, soz mate :)

Anyway, all 8 cores, fully loaded goes anywhere from 35-40 deg C, depending on ambient.

So, the setup is really cooling the Xeons down very well.

@ HaoKi: Good news, will have a beer with you next time I'm there, will keep in touch with you!

11. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

A few progress shots, finalizing the radiator brackets - as you remember with the previous update, I still had to finish the cut-outs where the fans mount, and it's done:

[​IMG]

Not bad :)

And fitted my spare aluminium fans, not looking to bad.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a shot from afar:

[​IMG]
    \
    I'm pretty happy how it's coming together, your thoughts appreciated.

12. B4TM4N

B4TM4N Ninja

It looks fantastic :)
    Kepp up the good work, if this time and effort made this, i look forward to the rest :)

13. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

A+ metalworking skills as always, Bean.

14. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

I'd maybe recommend flipping the fans, so you draw cool air in from the outside rather thank try and push hot air through the rad. It also can aid in pushing air over the mobo components and ram, removing the need for a ram cooler.

15. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Very nice! Blends in perfectly!

16. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Guys,
    Thanx for the feedback - in this case (pun intended) it would not really matter which direction the fans go - if I keep them in this config, then I'll add another fan at the rear, drawing fresh air onto the case, and vice-versa.

Bear in mind this case has partitions/dividers for each area, so there won't be hot air floating around, and the little there is, will add neglibly to the heat going through the rad.

Will still consider final config though......this is only a testfit.....

17. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Dude, very classy rad mount, looks great with those fans.

18. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Guys,
    A small update on this mod -> I have now fitted the EATX motherboard to this case, and it fills it rather nicely :)

I have also permanently mounted the 5x SAS drives and the HP drive-cage to the this case, so it's getting together nicely - now I'm just hoping someone would sponsor me with a few BitsPower fittings to properly route the tubing to/from blocks

I need to speak with someone to see if they want to be associated with this rather unique mod :) We can only hope.

Herewith a few pictures of the motherboard fitted - I will replace the tubing and fittings with something decent, this mod has a short way to go before finished - I only need fittings and decent tubing.

Showing how well the SuperMicro X7DWA-N fits into the Blackbird case - nice and full....

[​IMG]

and here 2 pics showing close-ups of top and bottom clearances, for those that are considering something similar....

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Guys, this is pretty decent considering I'm mounting a massive PC P&C 1Kw Turbocool into this box too, and space for 8x SAS drives, and a very decent watercooled setup, with 2x quad Xeon 5430's, as well as dual GPU HD4870X2...all watercooled.

Very nice server-box, and doubles up as a fantastic gaming-rig....

Nice.

Feedback appreciated.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

some new fittings and a weekend would sort that out perfectly.

Only thing that throws my eye is the CPU sockets are on the far right, which makes cooling the GPU a little odd looking. Dual loops? would tidy it up alot!

20. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

I wish I could fit dual-loops, but not really possible.

Will investigate this avenue further, but I'm sure I can do something with the routing of the tubing to make work for the mod.

Will give it a bit of a tnhink, and thanx for the feedback :)

Tags: