1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling HTPC low profile cooling - quiet please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adricha, 26 Jul 2010.

1. adricha

adricha What's a Dremel?

I have recently put together a new HTPC which I am very happy with but so far have stuck with stock coolers on CPU and case. While it's not exactly loud I am keen to kill as much noise as possible so want to replace the CPU and case fans with something better.

My system is based around a Core i3 so no extra graphics card. Main limitation is that I am using an Antec Fusion 350 case which is obviously low profile limiting my CPU cooler options.

Case also includes 3 80mm fans which even on their lowest setting put out a chunk of noise and I have never been a fan of Intel CPU coolers.

Any advice gratefully received.

P.S. Machine sits inside a closed Hi-Fi cabinet so thinking of punching a couple of holes in the back and mounting a couple of 140mm fans in the back driven by the HTPC to stop it suffocating so any ideas on those would also be appreciated. :D

Cheers
    A

2. adricha

adricha What's a Dremel?

no views?

3. carajp

carajp What's a Dremel?

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

^ This. :thumb:

I bought a Scythe Ninja Mini from Quiet PC a few years back, and it keeps the C2D E6400 in my HTPC cool passively, with the case exhaust effectively sucking air through the fins.

I like Scythe coolers, and having looked at a few reviews it seems that Caroline's suggestion would be one of your better choices.

Just try not to slice your hands up or knock any capacitors off your board whilst installing it! :lol: