1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC: Project1970 (completed 20. Feb)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bard, 1 Jan 2005.

1. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

2. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Yeah, only masking tape, and laying it in the correct position until the glue cured.

3. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

really nice so far *subscribed* :thumb:

4. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

I will follow this mod! Good job! :rock:

5. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Coming together nicley. Im subscribed to this thread.

6. kplonk

kplonk What's a Dremel?

the wood work is really nice, can't wait to see it finished

7. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

I meant the plexi... And btw, i will do samekind of mod, if its ok to you...
    :lol:

8. bard

I've started on the fabrication of the back plate. While all the other sides of the table will be wood, the back will be steel, as it is easier to mount mobo tray, PSU and fans to. Besides, the back will never be visible anyway.
    G-gnome taught us that showers are a great source of parts for a mod... I found an old steel cover that used to be part of a shower, and cut it to the table shape, drilled holes and fastened it to the table:
    [​IMG]

I then marked up where the mobo tray would go:
    [​IMG]

And here is how it looks so far:
    [​IMG]

Next to to is cut holes for the PSU and fans (I have room for one 80mm on each side)
    Of course, the back cover will not stay white like that. I will strip the paint off it and give it a nicer finish later.

By the way, what kind of threads are used for those standard computer screws that you for instance fasten PCI cards with?

9. alter_ego

alter_ego What's a Dremel?

sweet, reminds me a bit of the vesperdeco htpc the way its lookin right now.

10. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

Fittings

Its fitting quite well.. And the idea for this is fabulous... I can do this mod in my school, with better equipment.. :D How many fans you are going to put in, or is it watercooled?

11. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

LOL! are you building a boat?!

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looking great so far. I believe those screws are an american size - "6-32 UNC"

13. Shadowcaster

Shadowcaster What's a Dremel?

Hey! It really does look like a boat. That might be a cool idea for a mod :idea:

14. bard

Anthony, as the layout is now, there is only room for two fans in the back. I could also put a fan in the bottom, but I'm not sure if I am going to do that.

It does look a bit like the stern of a boat, doesn't it. That will change when I get the front on as well.

Guess I have a little to learn about tapping then... I only know "M3" and such. I might just buy some standard machining screws then, instead of using computer screws to attach the mobo tray to the back.

15. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

Yes, i just thought, for my mod, that I need three fans, and I am going to put some blowholes everywhere, that the case wont get on fire... But not too big blowholes, otherwise, it will be kinda loud...

16. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

B-E-A-U-T-Y-F-U-L

17. bard

Here's the back panel when I'm as good as finished with the cutting. I have sanded off most of the enamel on it, and will probably spray it black:
    [​IMG]

Acrylic glass is ordered and I'm picking it up in an hour. :D

18. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Cooling

Just an idea for a cooling solution. You could put some spacers in the corners to elevate the top about an inch or so, this will create a gap around the sides. Kind of like what Zapwizard did with the side window on his ATI case. This way, you could put a couple of blow holes in the bottom of the case blowing upwards, and have the air exit through the gap along the edges at the top.

Of course, you would need to give the top a bit of an overhang so spills will not leak into the case.

19. bard

That's a good idea goodboy_g. I was thinking about having the plexi top a bit raised, so if I do that, I'll definitely consider your idea.

I went and picked up the perspex sheet just now. At the same time, I asked if they had any leftover acrylic or polycarbonate, and this is what i got :D :D
    [​IMG]

Several hundred dollars worth of acrylic and lexan, clear, white, mirrored and some textured :rock:
    The sheet to the right and the two thin strips of perspex are the items I actually paid for..

20. bard

Small update; I have glued on the front wood panel. The panel will provide some rigidity for the entire structure as well.

[​IMG]

I also tried putting the perspex sheet on top, and that was when I saw the sheer size of the table. It's actually alot bigger than I had imagined...

I am sandwiching a 6mm strip of acrylic in the front panel and sides.
    [​IMG]