1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HWBot bans Windows 8 over RTC flaw

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Aug 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Then how would you explain the video HWBOT made, and originally linked by Gareth
    No benchmark program is running, these videos show the windows clock both going to fast and to slow.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The benchmark software should adapt when measuring. The system in Windows 8, is not a bug, it's done on purpose. This is how you get things more efficient. Something that Windows 8 really needs to run on tablets and phones. Window s7 on tablets, was ****.. and I don't mean in usability. I mean general usage. There isn't 1 single Windows 7 tablet that is perfectly smooth as on a laptop, and that is with piss poor battery life, including convertible tablet that cost 3000$.
    You want performance, things needs to be design more efficiently, and this is what you have.
    It's all part of being more of a RT OS (real time OS). While Windows 8 isn't a true RT OS, it compromises, to balance desktop/laptop and embedded systems (tablet, phone, console, etc) (hybrid solution?). Windows CE is a real RT OS... but Windows CE has no business in laptops and desktop, and I don't think I need to explain why.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The sort of time keeping required is important for benchmarks as a few points can make the difference in terms winning or losing or ranking or whatever it is benchmarkers do.

Here's a page with a few other benchmarks that have been screwed with. But of course the infallible Microsoft is right and all these other software developers are wrong because they used what was essentially a stable feature of windows 7.

Having a quick google around I'm not sure what else there is on a windows system to base a benchmark off of. I'm also not sure how a benchmark software could adapt given its base reference is skewed. At the end of it you still need reliable time measurement.

The problem is due to support for low end devices. They had to decrease the quality of time keeping in order to extend the range of compatible low end devices. Its purely a business decision. Its certainly not about efficiency. I'm sure there will be a patch for this at some stage. I'm also sure its not a priority for Microsoft.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quick update: Futuremark has become the first benchmark company to respond to the ban, promising to investigate the RTC issue itself and see if it can come up with a workaround.
    Clock skew is not a bug? Drift on the system clock is done on purpose? Because it makes things more efficient?! Yeah, that's... That's not actually true, y'know.
    I don't think that means what you think it means. Clock skew would be fatal to an RTOS, but that's OK because Windows 8 is most certainly not an RTOS - and neither is it designed to be.

5. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Poor Windows 8. It's almost making Vista look like a good idea... Almost, but not quite.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Interesting to read that apparently AMD systems are not affected by this.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Surely you could adjust the timing element of the software by detecting by how much the BLK has been changed.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I have been trying to find a answer to this for a couple of days now :wallbash:

Does anyone know what changed in the way Microsoft measured time from 7 to 8, and from Intel to AMD. I'm guessing they no longer use the RTC on Intel based systems. Am i correct in saying the RTC was moved into the CPU from Sandy bridge/Fusion onward ?

And if so why didn't Microsoft use the same checks used on AMD system to keep the time accurate on Intel systems ?, or is it more to do with the hardware differences from AMD to Intel that prevents Microsoft from keeping a check on the RTC ?

9. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Microsoft really need to pull their finger out of their arse and fix this... I mean, come on, we're talking about Windows 8, not Windows 3.1!