1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I gone and done it

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Scorpuk, 20 Aug 2012.

1. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

About 45DegC ..... I'd much rather the temps went up and the noise went down, but in discussions with the SuperMicro engineers, it seems there's a limit to what else I can do settings-wise with the BIOS :wallbash:

2. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

My Xigmatek with 2 additional 140mm case fans in the roof is giving an average processor temp. of 37 DegC (chomping a 8101) at an ambient of 18.4 DegC. Luckily it's also very quiet so will be deployed in the house during the winter to aid heating. :)

3. DocJonz

That doesn't seem too much different deltaT-wise, as my ambient is 25DegC - I would have expected that with your HE processors and all the fans that things would have been cooler, but I guess you have the added benefit of silence!
    I don't want to butcher my system just yet(!), so I might look at making some fan brackets for the HSF's to see what effect additional direct cooling has ..... I've determined that I only need the fans to reduce by a further 10% for the noise to be much more acceptable.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2012
  4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Good luck with the brackets Doc, well worth a try I would have thought.

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice some great hardware there, look forward to build pics and PPD :D :thumb:

For my next high-power build I can't decide whether to go for a 4P set up or an SR-X rig with dual 8-core/16 thread xeon CPU's making 32 threads total with a nice overclock or an AMD Opteron rig like this with 48 cores but at a lower speed.... hmmmmm :idea:

6. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Finally got an update. :clap:

City Link tried to deliver yesterday instead of last Saturday as paid for. :grr:

Unfortunately wont be able to pick it up until Friday / Saturday as work is in the way. :eyebrow::D

Oh well.

7. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

2P Xeons

Hi Coolamasta

The E5 Xeons can not be overclocked at all in the way 1366 Xeons can. The multipliers are locked and higher CPU straps don`t work. You can increase bclk but the highest stable value I have heard of is 105MHz. The most promising avenue is Turbo Boost. The E5 2650 has a base clock of 2.00GHz but without any changes it will turbo up to 2.4GHz on all cores or 2.8GHz on 2 cores.

Scorpion49 says you can trick the CPU into thinking it has a 130W TDP and then it will run at 2.8GHz on all cores. Xeon thread This may work on a 95W low bin part but how do you trick a top bin part into thinking it has a higher TDP.

The locked down nature of the E5 Xeons makes the EVGA SR-X irrelevant as an overclockers board. Check out the SR-X review on OC3D-TV, and the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS. Asus also make a Z9PE-D16 server board, Supermicro and Tyan have LGA2011 boards.

8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Ahhhhhhh thanks for the info Slowlemon, I've not done any research yet into the E5 Xeons so didn't know that but it would make perfect sense, why would Intel unlock the multiplier on a Server processor as they would never intend for them to be overclocked...

Thats changed my thinking all together and maybe I will look into the 4P Opteron route then, hmmmm will have to have a think about it and do some research, will watch those reviews you mention cheers :thumb:

9. Ben Lamb

Ben Lamb What's a Dremel?

Hello fellow folders just wanted to add a little food for thought when considering the 4p opteron vs sandy xeon routes. What happens when an avx accelerated folding client is released ? Only the sandy xeons and interlagos amd chips have avx functionality, is this worthy of consideration or not ?

P.S. have stated folding for the team again and will contribute when I have spare cash for the lecky meter !

10. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Welcome back to the team.

As usual with Stanford, there is no information about an AVX enabled client. It will happen when it happens. But it is unlikely to break the current clients, so we can continue with our current machines, in the knowledge that someone, somewhere will be building an AVX machine and will be able to report on the performance. Until then, all is speculation.

11. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Hi DocJonz,

What did you do and did it make any difference?

I have to agree its bloomin noisy.

If I could get it even a tad quieter I could possibly leave the room door open to aid in cooling. For now I need to keep it closed. lol

12. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I think it was a mistake to close the bedroom door this morning to keep the noise in.

Room temp must be high as one chip is seeing 51.4 Deg C. :duh:

13. DocJonz

The thermal limit of the CPU's is about 70DegC, so at 51, you're still laughing.

I set the profile in the BIOS to 'ES' - that's as good as it gets. Without the shroud (yep it's cheap and flimsy!), the volume is even worse - I tried it!!

I think I've got the basis for a simple, cheap-to-manufacture design of bracket to mount a 92mm fan directly above the heat sink, without having to do anything at all to/with the heat sink that's in-situ. I'll get one knocked up and give it a go .....

14. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Ahhh thats good to know.

If it works out let me know. I need to get rid of that hurricane. :)

I even ended up doing a search on G34 water blocks. :geek:

15. DocJonz

Me too :hehe:

16. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

How about this as a way out there idea:

Situ the server in the eaves of the house and connect the discharge to a conduit that leads to a vent in the roof tiles.

:rolleyes:

17. big-bert

big-bert What's a Dremel?

All this talk about 4p and 2p folding really makes me want to sell all my hardware and get one. I think i might have made a mistake on the 3930k + Rampage V Extreme, should have gone with a 2p xeon - E5-2620.

18. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Why waste the heat! Pipe it in for winter!

19. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Hehe yeah will be needing the heat soon enough.

Looking at the same idea of adding fans to the heat sinks, but I will have to drop out one of the case fans as there are only 9 fan headers and 6 of those are taken up by the hurricane fans.

Was also thinking along the lines of replacing the case fans with these, but not sure how they connect up. Would also need some padding for the 25mm width to 38mm width in the case.

Noctua NF-R8 80mm Quiet Case Fan
    Noctua NF-B9 Vortex-Control 92mm Quiet Case Fan

Also probably not a good idea to switch to these unless I have fans on the heat sinks.

Inner fans 155 CFM
    Exhaust fans 85.5 CFM

Quite a reduction in CFM.

Doc,

Have you ever tried it with the inner fans disconnected?

20. DocJonz

Do you mean the three intakes? In which case no, I don't think that would be a good idea without some other cooling present.

In regard to the fan header situation, just get some splitter cables - that's what I'm planning (still need to get a quote on my HSF bracket manufacture ....)