1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks I need a website host

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Da_BaCoN, 24 Oct 2007.

1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

'ello everyone. First off, I'm not sure if this is the best forum to place this topic in, so if I apologize if it should be moved.

Anywho, I'm looking to learn some SQL/PHP (or other stuff, but that's not the focus here) and I'm working with some friends of mine to develop a website for their startup company. I've developed some websites before, but they were never really moved off my hard drive (it was more just me learning/practicing). Thus, I have no idea what hosting company to go with, what things I should be interested in (obviously a good amount of storage and bandwidth, but what else?) and what things I should watch out for (would all hosts let me use php, assuming that is what I end up using?).

Anyone got any suggestions? Or know where would be a good place to look for more information on this topic?

Thanks, everyone! :D

2. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

I Have my own webhosing company.....

But id recommend godaddy for you....

3. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I would reccomend ineek (Land of Net). I ahve had them for a couple of years now and thye have been great and best of all cheap :eek:)

4. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Goscomb are who ive now used to 2 years and they are great never had any down time that i wasnt previously told about and even then it was like a couple of mins

5. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

Pay as you go, $8 for a domain name/year, and really cheap:
    SQL processes cost $0.01/process/day.

Yeah, this in dollars, but their clients are based all around the world. I've had downtime with them only twice in two years - once because the owner of their server facility forgot to tell the utility workers not to cut the power, and the second time because NFS moved to a new facility because of that. Customer support is AMAZINGLY awesome. I have had 3 websites with these people so far.

6. kevin5k

kevin5k Lost in Translation

BT Business Domain:eyebrow:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/btbusinessProducts/displayCategory.do;JSESSIONID_ecommerce=HhLfCQhQrMlbV89b5ZxTzvD013Ry9Dq80HHNCNg7fsDHds7BPdcM!-2081942920?categoryId=BTB-WEB-HOSTING-I

Or u could try something like fasthost

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/

7. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Another additional question - would there be a problem with me using php/sql on any hosts? Or do they generally not care what types of files I'm using? (A lot of what I'm planning to do it based on using some database stuff, assuming I know what I'm doing :blush:)

8. Snowball

Snowball Star Gazer

Even most free hosts let you use php and mysql xD

9. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

10. kevin5k

kevin5k Lost in Translation

Most webhosting companies will be able to provide u with a list of scripting that they support. But as far as I know, most would gladly accept ASP,PHP

11. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

In the UK www.fasthosts.co.uk have been ok most of the time for me . . . although they have had their moments, such as taking (I use the word conservatively) a customer from my reseller package and selling them a direct hosting service, by blaming me for the customers problems, when it was a known problem with a fasthosts server which they kept turning on and off for 3 weeks to track down an email spam issue.

For outside the UK, these are a lot cheaper with multiple domain options, but I haven't used them myself, although my research showed many recommendations for them;

www.bluehost.com
    www.ixwebhosting.com

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

13. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

Thanks UncertainGod, I am reading your links now.

I am currently on 3 months free with them, following a forced server move, but with 50 or so websites, it's taking me a little time. My original plan was bluehost.com in USA, but I will look into your suggestion.

Cheers

14. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Da Bacon if you are just looking at having a mess around im sure i can fit you on my server if you fancy and if you ask nicely i may be able to do it for free

Tags: