Open Source I think my firefox has serious memory leak problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Showerhead, 12 Sep 2011.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]Anyone seen it this bad before three tabs open 3.5GB memory in use:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

have you tried running firefox with all plugins disabled ? most problems (mem leakes, slow cold boot) are caused by plugins ;)

my record mem usage was 2.7GB but that was week old session with 100+ tabs...

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

That's normal, move along.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Really? Because mine seems to hover around 250-300,00K, and maybe double that if I'm really caning it.

I'd also guess that it's a poorly coded addon. You seem to have quite a few judging by icons.
    It's basically a case of trail and error, disable, test, repeat. Having a look at reviews may help.

5. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Seconded. As a quick test to rule out firefox's core components being the issue, create a new firefox profile and see how much memory it uses then.
    (add -p to the end of a firefox shortcut's target to bring up the profile manager)

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Disable some addons, not uncommon for firefox to use 1-2gb of memory after being open for a long time.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

It's not firefox, it's the addons. I use 1 addon (download statusbar) and have about 40 windows open spread across 3 tab groups, and I'm literally JUST over 500,000k

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I managed to use up all my memory available and crash firefox once because of google maps, apparently following a railway line from Leicestershire down to London uses a bit of memory, :D

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

In my experience it's not the number of addons (I have 36 in use, plus some greasemonkey and stylish scripts), but a few specific poorly made addons that cause problems. Also, some poorly designed websites can cause runaway memory usage.

I guess the problems some addons can cause is a side effect of the extent to which they can customise Firefox, and as a slightly obsessive tweaker it's definitely a price I'm willing to pay.

To safeguard against issues I tend to install extensions one at a time, using them for a bit before installing anything else to check for any problems. If an issue has all of a sudden developed without installing anything new, then it's worth checking if an update to an addon has caused a problem. Click the little cog at the top of the extension list page to see recent updates, then disable it or check reviews/forums to see if there are problems with the update.

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Yuo definetly one of the addons runs fine with them off. Curiously it is only tv tropes in my experience that causes the run away usage. So probably a conflict between one of the addons and the site.