IDE harddisks in RAID?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReFredzRate, 10 Feb 2007.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I've got a question for you guys, since I'm a bit puzzled on this. I've never been involved in working with RAID systems, so be nice ok? ;)

This year I'll be going to India to get me a degree in MCSE. However, I'd like to pratice a bit with Windows 2003 Server back home. Now I've gotten my hand on 2 Seagate Barracuda 40Gb 7200rpm IDE disks. Is it possible to create a RAID system with those, so I can mirror both disks on each other?

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

1: Click start, run, and type in 'compmgmt.msc'
    2: On the left-hand pane, under the heading 'Storage,' click 'Disk Management.'
    3: Find the two drives in the menu and convert them to dynamic drives. I'm not sure the process for this, but it's either in the right-click context menu or in one of the main window toolbar buttons.
    4: Right click on one of the drives and create new volume
    5: Select the type of RAID you want and click next.
    6: Add the two drives to the list and click next
    7: Assign a drive letter and click next
    8: Format with whatever you like and click next

3. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

or you just build the system on one disk, then in Disk manager, convert them both to dymanic and right click on each active partition and choose add mirror.

To be honest that's all covered in the windows work station and server exams (not sure excactly what there called these days I did my MCSE in windows 2000) so if you don't know that now I'd get yourself a text book and start learning

4. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Nice... Thanks for the information. You're great!