1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Ideal Head Unit to buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by vivaladan, 2 Jul 2009.

1. vivaladan

vivaladan What's a Dremel?

I'm struggling to find a head unit to buy for my new car that'll do the simple things I want from it.

I just want a head unit where the ipod cable plugs in the back so i can route it behind the dash and not have it hanging from the front and getting in the way. The cable charges the ipod so it needs to be a proper ipod connection and not a minijack. I'm still able to use the ipod for selection of the music to play. Seems silly having to use the limited head unit interface when you've got that amazing ipod interface sitting there. Hh and a head unit with at least 2 decent RCA outputs. Not costing the world helps too.

Any suggestions?

This is what I came closest to but for two problems, the cable doesn't charge the newer ipods like my touch 2g. Second is that I'm not too sure whether you can still control the music from the ipod itself opposed to the head unit but thats less of a problem.

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/details/cd-head-units/cde-9882ri.html

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I was going to suggest Crutchfield.com but they only do US and Canada. I can't find an equiv. UK site. Sorry. Crutchfield can supply many styles and options depending on car and price range and feature set. Might be worth a look just to narrow features for your request.

john

3. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

You can get adapters that allow newer ipods to charge with older cables. Swaps the firewire for usb pin or something.

Griffin make one.