1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs If it isn’t Google, it isn’t search

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Jun 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lol, that's the exact thing i did:

"hum, what's the address of bing." i thought to myself. and typed in bing in Chrome earlier at work. which brings up google. if had done it in Firefox which also goes to google first

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Bing has the same problem that google has, a problem to differentiate your search.

I search for a keyword, get 10.000.000 results...and have no way of filtering other than searching again, with multiple keywords.

(also it blocks pr0n...which is good if set by default but bad if irreversible...)
    Also, what else does it block? Who decides what is to block?

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think it's pretty clear but I have a dirty mind

4. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I tried Bing. In fact i was searching for a specific MS KB page (searched for "KB9*something*" cant remember off the top of my head what it was). The KB article is listed but the entire first page of links linked to non-existant Microsoft webpages - instant fail in my book.

I used Google and the first result was what i needed - the correct link to the MS site.

MS should stick to OSs. Search isnt their cup of tea for sure if they cannot index their own site.

5. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Google Just Doesn't Work!

It's fine for shallow stuff. The sort of thing you would have found in the local library. If you're after something a bit more detailed, it tends to hit a dead end. If you're looking for the professional texts or the latest developments in research, it's difficult to impossible.

For example, I've spent a lot of time over the years learning about the current research in AI. There are thousands, at least, of useful and interesting papers in the various university sites around the world. But you'll never find them using Google.

This constantly frustrates me as the information is out there, it just can't easily be found. If the 'net is to be useful to all of us, not just the majority, there needs to be a way to find ALL the content that's publicly available.

There are quite a few areas or knowledge that you can find very little about be using Google. A lot of the time it's pure bind luck, or a matter of finding a name that's mentioned on a newsgroup, then tracking it all over the place until you eventually, maybe, find what you're looking for.

Until there is a way to find this stuff easily and quickly, the 'net can't fulfil it's promise. Everything one might want to know may be there (which is debatable, but I like to take people on their word, and many say it is) but if it's impossible to find it may as well not be.

My interests might not be common, but they are the sort of things students would be looking for, particularly post-docs and the like. This should be at least as important as being able to find out who won the game last night. It certainly has a far greater long term effect on our world.

Tags: Add Tags