1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wow, OZ, that thing is lovely! :)

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Thanks. The only problem is that I won't be able to get insurance for it (well, within reasonable amounts of money). I think I'm getting a Mini when I turn 17 and using this as a track car :)

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wait, your not even 17, and your building that? I hate you. :)

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

It's kind of a father/son bonding thing, but it was a birthday present for me :)
    Sorry about thread hijack. Goo, are you getting the kit all at once, or doing it in modules?

5. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Ah yes most definitaly go for a cossy powerd Caterham 7 or cobra clone or
    Build a batmobile or tumbler.
    BTW the Caterham 7 chassie fits well for a min batmobile (keton car)
    Just to hijack the thread.
    in the UK a 2.0 is enough for the cobra replica how ever the 2.0L BMW lump is by far the best.

6. fev

fev Industry Fallout

excellent work there mate on the westfield and excellent work on the BMW salvaging goo :p

Hopefully i'll have enough time during summer to do the main fabrication and do engine tinkering when at uni

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'm getting it in modules, as it'll ease the space crunch.

Another good day yesterday - managed to get everything else off the car that I needed, and we stripped the front struts down. Need to get some decent penetrating oil as well, as some of the bolts on the diff are resisting the carms of the breaker bar and the impacvt wrench! WD40 isn't cutting the mustard.

Good news on the diff as well - I cleaned up the serial number tag on it, and did some checking. Looks as if I've got a Limited Slip puppy. Drift-tastick! :D

I've got the pics, I'll post them up later today.

Oh, and to all you threadjackers out there - GOO doesn't negotiate with threadjackers. Get your own threads! ;)

8. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

What is the approximate cost of a westfield SEiGHT kit, if you were to buy it in modules??

9. GreatOldOne

Pics, as promised.

The shell, looking a bit sad waiting on the drive to be picked up by the scap man:

[​IMG]

It's suprisingly roomy - lots of space for all the crap I don't need. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dunno - do you think it could be lowered any more?

[​IMG]

There was quite a bit of junk to put back in the car once it had been taken off...

[​IMG]

Lots of stuff! (Including the fallen body of an axel stand, that died in action - it decided to lean over whilst we had the other side jacked up to remove it's comrade, and the car crushed it. :eeek: :D )

[​IMG]

This was the carrier for the rear suspension assembly (centre of pic), and gave us so much grief it wasn't funny. The unit was held onto the body via two vertical bushes either side of the car. We got the bolts off easy enough, but would it slide of the bushes? no chance.

[​IMG]

In the end we took the angle grinder to the metal collar at each end, and use the sutble aproach of wedging a crowbar in the cut and leavering the collar open

[​IMG]

After that violence, it popped off a treat. Mind you, the whole street was treated to the wonderfull smell of burning rubber as we had the angle grinder on them!

So what bits did I keep?

The diff and swing arms:

[​IMG]

The engine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front struts (which get modified by Marlin) and the rear springs:

[​IMG]

The gearbox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handbrake and Clutch:

[​IMG]

Flywheel, front brake calipers, manifold & steering column:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also kept the front and rear anti-roll bars, and the rear shocks (not because I'm going to reuse them, but I'll be make sure that the replacements are the right ones)

So the garage is a bit tidier now. I've even got some comfy seats.

[​IMG]

I've also put in more shelving:

[​IMG]

So what's next? Well, I need to brake down the diff and propshafts, but the hex bolts holding the shafts to the output flanges are well stuck. I've gone and got some Plus Gas penetrating fluid, so I'll mosey on out to the garage in a minute and see if it does the job.

I've also got to start cleaning up all the oily bits and seeing what needs replacing. My mate Iain (Engine expert extrodinare) was very complimentary about the engine - seems as if it's a bit of a diamond in the rough. Of course, we'll know more once we popped the head and sump off and look at the internals.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2008
  10. mrsgoo

mrsgoo What's a Dremel?

But first!! GOO will have to get the oil out of the carpet in the hallway!

11. GreatOldOne

Wouldn't have a clue, as I'm building a Marlin. Try the horse's mouth:

Westfield Cars

She-who-must-be-obeyed Speaks! :eeek: :D

I'm sure I'll get round to it at some point...

12. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Wow, that looks like quite a squeeze. Luckily we had a massive garage, although we got the kit all together so there wasn't much space left after. That engine looks like it'll be a squeeze to get in if a Wesffield enging bay is anything to go by, took us ages to squeeze the 1.8 in.
    If I ever do another build, I would like do do it with a donor car. We got the Westy in full kit form, brand new engine an everything. The plus side to this is that you don't have to use a Q plate as it is registered as a brand new car. I just don't know enough about engines (yet) to consider stripping one down.

13. GreatOldOne

The Marlin's engine bay is a bit bigger than the Westy - It'll accommodate anything up-to a V8 if you want. In fact, a guy has asked Marlin to build him a turnkey Sportster with a Beemer 330D engine. That'll be fun - and frugal on the go-juice. Dunno what it'll sound like though...

My Sportster won't have a Q plate either. If you can prove that more that two major components (engine, gearbox - that sort of thing) on the kit came from the donor vehicle, you can retain the age related plate from that - so my car will be a 'C' reg, as the donor was registered in '86, and I'm using far more than two parts! You just have to inform the SVA peep which bits and from where.

14. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

sounds similar to what they do in my state... though its strictly on a state by state basis as to what the requirements are as far as emissions etc...

it's a pain (and the reason my old pickup wasn't street legal in mass and I had to retain a CT place of residence)

15. GreatOldOne

Managed to get the half shafts seperated from the LSD tonight. They where well and truly stuck in there - not even the air impact wrench at full chat could move them. But the Plus Gas is justifying it's hefty price tag - a squirt of that on the bolts and a heave on a 24" breaker bar and they soon popped out. :D

Cleaned up the serial tag on the back of the diff casing a bit more. From my research, the first three numbers after the S (for slip) is the ratio - so I've got a 1 : 3.94 diff. :clap:

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Is it just me, or does that distributor look like it has connections for seven spark plugs?

17. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

It does, one will be for the connection to the coil.
    Hope you can squeeze it all in the garage GOO, cars always seem to take up 3x as much space when they're in pieces :)

18. mrsgoo

mrsgoo What's a Dremel?

:sigh: Tell me about it. But that's all he's got I'm afraid!

19. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

The bedroom is full of car parts and i even have a few on the floor in the living room! But in my defence they are all new parts (boxed) waiting to be put on though!!

The gf still moans though!

20. mrsgoo

mrsgoo What's a Dremel?

DON@T GIVE HIM IDEAS!!!! Sorry GOO, it's the garage only!