1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [In Win 901] Celestial

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B NEGATIVE, 31 Dec 2015.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

In other news....

IM OFF TO TAIWAN!

[​IMG]

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Are you sure you want to get that close to North Korea? You did put the head of a dog on their boss...

3. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

While the house was quiet I thought I would push on and cut the midplate after ruining the first one as the badly made video will explain.

I used 2mm Alu and I will be mounting the assembly using PARVUM's modding cubes.There is another plate for the underside ,together they will be the mounting points for the covers that will mimic the Celestial door sills.

I apologize for the poor photo's....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole rad section will be enclosed,there will be the end of the PSU exposed but the wiring will be routed up into the midsection,it will stay nice and clean to look at.

Here is a poorly made video for you to laugh at.

https://youtu.be/HG5Cw_3-IKc

Last edited: 5 Mar 2016
  4. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

I couldnt leave the last post like that.....I had to bolt it in and see whats what.

First things first,while the tray was out,I added a fill port on the leading edge of the acrylic .

[​IMG]

Nice and unobtrusive.

Then I drilled out the panels,added inserts into the acrylic and bolted it all back together.

[​IMG]

I flipped the Vardars over as no one wants to look at fan hubs,I wanna see dem whirly bits!

2 Things in this pic,I didnt allow for the skewed ports on the Predator so the fitting is slightly over. The other is that Im going to have an awesome time trying to get that PSU screw in....

You can see the inserts in this pic really well too.

[​IMG]

The res feed to the pump will be coming out at this point of the res..

[​IMG]

Not a lot of room but enough to get the job done.

So.....well......I couldnt resist getting some hardware shots in too....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have to make the bottom section of the midpanel and the two side covers,everything is run inside that and it will also form a structure for the aforementioned Celestial sill bits.

I think its taking shape really well,as always comments welcome!

5. B NEGATIVE

Just a small update,a Silverstone SFX 600w has arrived....

And the PSU fits nicely with enough room to get the cables in!
    Tight tho.....very tight indeed! More machining this weekend,bottom panel,PSU cover plate and hopefully the sides of the 'rad box' too!

[​IMG]

All of this is hanging off those inserts,only 3 for the midplanel! Im converted!

6. y0gi

y0gi What's a Dremel?

That midplate is awesome man! Love how it integrates so many features into one. Me likey! :thumb:

7. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Machined the sides of the rad box today,these are the base structure pieces,there are more decorative pieces going over the top,there is also rebated acrylic windows going in the hole,they will be back lit with LED's instead of EL paper like the mobo tray.

Made a 2.2mm rebate in the back side to locate everything nice and square,the finished panel will be mounted with external 5x12mm L section. The modcubes are PARVUMs version and are very handy,I chose the mounts to be external to the box so I can double them up as door mounts too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im cramming as much in now as I have a build for Corsair to do which is going to take up a pot of buildtime in the next few weeks,looks to be interesting tho!

8. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

In a small update,both rad box panels are nearly done,along with the exhaust panels!
    The rad box has detail work mimicking the rocker covers of that amazing engine. They will have mesh backing I think to finish the look.

Here is a view of that amazing engine,you can see what I have run with,coupling that with the door sills gives me a nice bit of detailing to add substance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have made a booboo...I thought the engine was a v16.....and it isnt,its a v12 so the design of 8 ports per side needs to be changed to 6 ports per side... :rolleyes:
    So...I have ordered more Alu to recut the lower panels and cut the replacement top door section.

I really should check things more often.....

9. hovek

hovek “Can’t or won’t?” Sterling Archer

Really good attention to details! Lovely case.

Celestial is a Phantom, and Rolls Royce had V16 (100EX project i think) to go in it. 3 such engines were built by BMW and tested in the Phantoms.

;)

10. B NEGATIVE

They were indeed and one of them had the dubious honour of being in a Johnny English film.

I will look harder at what exactly was put under the bonnet and adjust it to suit,Im kind of hoping the engine is a V16 as both panels are cut and I think it looks better with 8......

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Just leave it as-is. It looks fine.
    ...BMW making engines for a company that cranked out millions of v16 aircraft engines.

12. B NEGATIVE

The irony...

I cant leave it if its wrong, it will drive me mad!

Now I have understanding of multi stage jobs,I don't mind cutting it right. I have emailed RR for clarification tho. Goddamn chamfer mill is noisy too ...

Last edited: 29 Mar 2016
  13. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Today was all about the PSU cover now its a defunct mount and seeing as its In Wins 30th Anniversary I thought I would mark the moment....

Some slot work to promote some airflow and a nice machined 30th Anniversary logo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some lovely chamfers.....everybody loves chamfers right?

And the article in place,I still have to drill out the bolt holes and trim the case near one of the slots tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea is to paint these then flood fill the recess with clearcoat,when its dry,sand it right back and you are left with the visual cue of depth but it will be flat to the touch.

The rest of today is going to be spent truing up everything and getting the door panel planned and maybe cut....
    Hopefully anyway....

Last edited: 3 Apr 2016
  14. Donnii

Donnii Mods By Donnii

Really good job, looks like you have your hans on the right way :)

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's lovely.

16. hovek

hovek “Can’t or won’t?” Sterling Archer

Looks awesome. Nothing better than machined aluminium!
    Did you get an answer from RR?

17. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

I also like the mid plate, and I really like how you reoriented the PSU - really creative, and will clean up the back of the computer very nicely - an area that often gets overlooked and looks cluttered. very nice.

18. B NEGATIVE

Thanks guys,Solidworks did all the hard work tho....:thumb:

I havent yet but Im not surprised,you never know tho.

The PSU change was necessary to get the watercooling in,I do not subscribe to exterior rads as a solution. This is a much better compromise.

19. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

A small update,the res has been tapped and the whole structure has been trued up ready for me to cut the top panel,after this im on to the storage. The original idea was to have the bottom bay open and the storage mounted in there,however nothing ever stays to plan so Im mounting inside the main compartment instead. I also used 13mm angle to fixthe side panels to the main structure,those screws are not staying tho,looking and some nice CSK with cups
    for that job.

After a few pointers from the guys at PARVUM Im also ready to start machining the acrylic parts of the side panels and the window for the main section. Soon I will be taking a small break from this as I have another build to do with a short deadline,normal service will be resumed shortly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is going to look so slick once its painted,just waiting for money to clear before splurging on EL kits and lovely lovely paint.​

20. B NEGATIVE

Doing a bit of the detail stuff today,the storage mount is cutting now but I started the day making some little 180 combs,Hans Peder Sahl designed some for a Hexgear build but I couldnt resist making some of my own.....

[​IMG]