1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inside the Home of Chrome

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 19 Apr 2006.

1. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

I dont no about you peeps but all this talk about "pro gamers" if there so "pro" why have 800x600 o so the heads are bigger etc. whats so pro about that if the head of the opponent is huge ! 2 me that aint really so pro, its just crafty !

And they get sponsors like ati and nvidia bit of a waste really if they have low settings, if i seen them playing and the gfx's looked poop i wouldent even think of buying any of there hardware !

ok ive had my moan hehe time 2 play with res 800x600 lmao.

2. slavik

slavik What's a Dremel?

Can I get an AMEN, my fellow college students? :p

Honestly though, it is starting to look like gamers (whether male or female) are looking more and more like marketing gimmicks (Fatality products, etc, you get the point) ... is this something that 'we' want? (Notice, that players in professional sports are also used as marketing gimmicks for sneakers, cell phones, etc.)

EDIT:
    I am a starting game developer (hopefully) and from my OpenGL experience so far is that when the resolution goes down ... objects do become larger (scaled up), but you also have to understand that the Field Of View (FOV) becomes smaller.

When you lower the resolution, you are effectively zooming in. This way, less objects actually get displayed. If anyone likes, I could code up a quick program to demonstrate.

3. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

I still play CS on a 1GHz Duron with Voodoo3 card. 75 FPS is all I need, and the res is 800x600. I dont like to squint when trying to read text in the middle of an ambush.

4. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

They take the sacrifice of a lower FOV because they can give better hits for say headshots etc, they are usually fast pasted games and play with high mouse sensitivity so thats more advantagous...

good post though :D if you do, do an example and our willing to let me see the code i'd be interested (doing games design at essex ) :dremel:

5. slavik

slavik What's a Dremel?

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

as for the S3 graphic cards...they are not normal integrated graphics, they are not integrated at all, they are PCIX graphics cards, they are more powerfull than you can think.

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/products/chrome_s27/

"The Chrome S27 leads the industry with 700MHz core and memory clocks, thanks to the advanced 90nm manufacturing process."

good things come in small pakages, and i think that this graphics card has the grunt to play CSS maxed out at a good resolution. i have a friend, he as a Nvidia 4800pro or ultra i think and he plays HL2 with most of the bling on and at realy decent fps.

can the bit-tech crew arange a benchmark possible to test the S3 card against other cards? PLEASEE!!!!!:D

7. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I'm sure that could be arranged - let me make some calls :D

8. yanman

yanman What's a Dremel?

while the "8x6 rule" may hold true for close-quarter fragging in game such as the Quake series, if you were to play something like Battlefield 2 with long range battles a low resolution would be very limiting. Distant targets that would be quite faint on say 1920x1200 (my BF2 res) wouldn't be visible on 1024 (e.g defending engineers on the Wake Island USMC arty island by sniping gunners on the peninsulae - their heads are only just visible at high res)

Pending a respectable review of the new Chrome I can't say how the cards compare to other budget video solutions like the Radeon x1300 or Nforce 6100 integrated graphics, but I can say that in the past S3's claims have quite exceed what the cards actually do.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2006
  9. slavik

slavik What's a Dremel?

10. lepre

lepre Minimodder

i always play fps @ 8x6 ultra low details/textures. it isnt' for things bigger for me. it's to have more fps (i don't want 60 please.) and to have higher refresh rate on the crt monitor. that's to feel less tired after playing.
    then you can talk about graphics effects (smoke etc when you can hide)
    there are also less "pixels" which can be clicked to say it all.
    and the mouse moves different

well i don't want to convince nobody...there are still people who believe 24-30 fps are enough (lol)
    i just do it

Tags: Add Tags