News Intel: "code for thousands of cores"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2008.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Perhaps a real trick would be to make a multi-core CPU pretend to be a really fast single core CPU as far as the software is concerned. Keep the resource distribution internal. But I suspect that would not be possible, given the general linear nature of most programs.

2. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Either extreme single cores or dual core compatibility is what we need at this time, I mean, look at Nvidia's latest move from the 9800 series to the 200 series, the 200's are just a real powerful single core so it seems they are attempting to be more compatible with current games.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Agreed, thousands of cores are pointless since most programs are linear they'll get barely any use.
    No reason they can't be used as one big core though right? Strip it down and it's basically double the number of processors, registers, etc.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

According to Task manager, I currently have 37 processes running on jy dual CPU machine. I have to thnk that it would ba faster if each of those 37 processes were running on it's own core, even if they were all single-threaded.

Tags: Add Tags