Apple iPhone Development

Discussion in 'Software' started by VipersGratitude, 22 Feb 2010.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I just got roped in to doing an iPhone app through work...

Does anyone know of any good online resources for learning objectve-C?

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I asked a friend who is doing iphone development at the minute and his advice for online resources was google. :D

But he did suggest that this book is very good. http://apress.com/book/view/9781430224594

VipersGratitude likes this.
  3. cc3d

cc3d It's a mod mod world

Good luck.

If you're experienced in anything other than objective-c (which I'm guessing you are) your resource choices will be a let down. The Xcode package itself is real weak in terms of reference. I've been a developer for a year now and I just can't stand the XCode development environment. If you're used to .net work, it will be a huge let down. Some say "at least XCode is free" but I'd gladly pay to have the reference resources of the .net package.

VipersGratitude likes this.
  4. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Agreed that compared to the ms IDE and tool chain, xcode, objective c and developing for the iPhone feels really clunky. I was expecting better actually.

Read up on objective c, and if you're not experienced already also read up on MVC as you'll need those skills.

by the way the MS MVC stuff is pretty cool, so much nicer than forms.

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Ended up visiting Lynda and found their tutorials excellent - A little bit overly simplistic at times, but definitely the most informative resource I've found so far.

And I see what you mean about clunkiness...You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get to the finish line.

The best mvc framework I've found is http://puremvc.org/ and I notice it has a objective-c implementation...I can't recommend pure mvc highly enough btw. If you havent checked it out already, you should

7. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Cocoa With Love is a fantastic resource too. Both for tutorials and examples.

8. Felipe

Felipe What's a Dremel?

The growth of iPhone development is increasing gradually day-by-day. The main responsibility of an developers is to design and develop new applications according to their client’s needs. They use creativity and imagination to create & run applications on our phone. These applications are designed as per your requirement and hence it helps your workflow easier.

Tags: