Gaming Is Console Gaming Dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Dec 2009.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Not to bash sony, but they've had quite a few updates that bricked PS3s.

2. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Damn I've been lucky up to this point then! I've updated the firmware a few times over the years and never suffered. Do you mean totally bricked? Not recoverable?

I think this strategy from Sony will add the value to PS3 that it really needs. MS will now need to push the Blu-Ray attachment on the 360 and update it's firmware to be able to compete - in terms of 3D that is. I'm guessing 3D won't be mainstream until next gen? But those lucky ones with a few dollars to spare will jump straight in and get themselves a 3D TV to see what the fuss is all about.

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

to be honest, 3D is just a gimmick - yeah its kinda cool the first time you see it in the cinema, but I cant see it taking off at home.

4. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@barndoor101

I think 3d does have a place in the home - but not for a bit on the TV... personaly I'm going the nvidia route as its a (relatively) cheap option and I fancy a new monitor... shame there are no decent graphics cards for it (ATI where are you?)

5. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

barndoor have you played a game in 3D?

I have played a few (that worked, a lot more didn't work out that good though - technical issues) and been blown away by the extra dimension. It was only then I realised how flat normal polygon games actually are. The glasses and setup is still tedious but the effect when it works is pretty amazing!

A game written specifically for 3D on a PS3 'should' be even more amazing.

6. barndoor101

No i havent. But if 3D films are anything to go by (and i have seen several of these), they will destroy my eyes at an even greater rate than normal monitors are doing at the moment. I definately couldnt sit down and play a game for a few hours with current tech, and im sure im not alone on that one.

I remember coming out of Avatar thinking 'Wow that was a great-looking movie, but i want to go home and lie down and close my eyes'.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

3D is the future and what ive used is pretty cool but atm it isn't well implemented and still full of side effects, even on PC. At least having the option is nice but as we saw on PC, it effectively halved your frame rates, I doubt the PS3 could handle that.

8. Elton

The only issue I have with 3D is the fact that it costs so much to setup, and it isn't even necessarily good, some games might work with it, and others won't but the main gripe I have about it is the need for a 120hz monitor..

9. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I've been wondering about the latest 3D stuff and wondering when to get back into it. I'm now thinking that this may be an opportunity to replace my 60hz TV with a 120hz 3D capable. I never did like how we were all forced to downgrade our monitors from 100-120hz to 60hz ... so upgrading my TV from 60hz to 120hz seems worthy, if at the same time it enables me to do some lush 3D gaming on PS3 or watching 3D movies on Sky ... bonus!

I'm in no rush to replace my PC monitor just yet, although if Bit-Tech reviews a nice, big, colourful monitor that looks stunning ... then who knows. Are monitors due to go OMLED or whatever it's called? Would that help with the colour loss in 3D I wonder?

10. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Me too!

"Please friend, if you must at least have logical grounding for it instead of just saying I'm wrong..PROVE it!)."-Elton

Ok!

"The 360 seems to have better shadows and is darker (could be contrast within the game making them show up better)."-javaman
    "And for the record better shadows =/= better graphics."-Elton

"In a final note, I don't see a console with that capability..It just adds to the PC's ability list and the let's the PC record TV...What's to argue?"-Elton

"They can't however encode videos"-Elton

"multi-task, etc etc..:"Elton

"They can play "some games" they can download "some movies"-Elton

"As I've said, a cellphone can't play CIV IV, much less shooters. "And they can't play HD movies.."-Elton

"Bindi, the hammer of ban is required no?"-Elton

"never did I once request a ban, that would be intolerable to me personally as toying with you is quite fun."-Elton

"Now I know why I couldn't win..."-Elton

"Once again, you've only really managed to point out the inconsitiencies of my argument,"-Elton

"That said, my $800 PC does a hell of a lot more than my PS3 can do."-Elton

"Where interestingly my $700 PC that I use for more than just gaming(and was an upgrade from 5 years ago) can run it perfectly fine on higher settings and such.."-Elton

"A 30" monitor has quite a few uses besides being expensive, for example, most of those are professional photo editing monitors, plus I can game on it with 1 card, eyefinity? You're insane."-Elton

As we ALL found out, you don't have a 30" monitor among other things! Look, I could go on, but why? You've lied, and you were proven wrong, just like you asked! Now you're on the run. You can't even stand to face your own statements! You were suppose to prove yourself "right" remember?. What happened? I don't expect you to do anything here but try to change the subject again, because facing yourself is just too difficult for you. So I'll leave you with this...

" So either bring up a new point where i will refute you or stop posting about me not refuting something because of your altered perception."-Elton

There it is for you...refute it!!!

11. barndoor101

oh dear, he just wont let it die...

12. Warrior24_7

Oh it can die, all Elton has to do is kill it! But he won't.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I so wish i could give negative rep

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I wish I could steal bindi's banhammer during his sleep

but man would that be risky. Imagine what he would do if he were to find out :eeek:

15. Elton

Yeah I let this die a while back..anyone mind pointing out what's wrong with his last statement?

Hint: one cannot refute's ones own opinion.

16. Warrior24_7

You're damn right you can't refute it! Thats EXACTLY why I put it there, in your face. BECAUSE I KNEW THAT YOU HAD NOWHERE ELSE TO GO! Own it, it's yours!! I'm real glad that you finally admitted that! Because I know that you can't face yourself! The lies, the hypocritical statements, the contradictions, the wrong accusations are all there. You can't run from it, you can't hide from it, you can't call for help, you just have to accept it! Afterall, once you read that, what were you gonna say? What "could" you say? Nothing!! You went "on record" and said that the 360 had better graphics than a GTX 280! Now you know why I say that PC hardware is over priced, over hyped and overrated! Why spend all that money? Now I have yet another PC gamer backing me up! You were proven so wrong in this debate that all you can do now is admit it. Wow, what a capitulation!

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

are you on speed 24/7

you could have simply said "My point exactly" instead of typing this hysterical non-sense

18. barndoor101

it is my opinion that warrior24_7 is a pathetic loser who desperately needs to get laid.

REFUTE THAT DICKHEAD.

19. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

:thumb:

:duh: :D

I'm starting to wonder if Warrior is a master of Scientology ... and this is some crazy experiment to reprogram our brains!

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

warrior, could you fill in a blank here.....what resolution where those screenshots taken a btw?

Tags: Add Tags